Chapter 5: Girls Chase Boys (present)

(present)

"Fuckin' A!"

The crowd cheered, as the guy who yelled raised his cup and banged his head along the beat of the music. The base was so strong you could literally feel it if you touched the walls of the house.

I shook my head, making my way through the sea of bodies.

It was Friday night. We just won a game. Naturally, there was a party at someone's house. By the time I got here about an hour ago, it was already in full swing.

I nodded to Connie and Frisco when I got near them by the fireplace. I let them have a conversation while my eyes scanned the place. Some people were dancing carelessly in the middle of the room, some were sucking faces at corners, some were pulling pranks against the sophomores, some were playing cards, and the rest were simply talking.

Same old fucking high school party.

A random guy who was enthusiastically jumping up and down came out of nowhere and was about to collide with Connie. I grabbed the hem of her leather jacket and pulled her out of the way, causing for the moron to fall head first on the floor.

We stared at his unmoving body.

"Is he passed out?" Frisco asked.

I shrugged. "Looks like it."

"Noob," Connie muttered disgustedly, sipping from her red cup.

My lips curled up in a crooked smile.

Frisco chuckled as he handed Connie his cup of beer. He then helped the passed out dude get up and walked him to the nearest chair. When he returned, he took the cup from Connie, and said, "Not all of us have attended high school parties since we were twelve."

Connie snorted. "You turned out fine."

"I'm a quick learner."

"Yeah, good boy," she complimented, patting his head like a dog.

"Knock yourself out." Frisco grinned, while he lowered his curly head.

Connie laughed and shoved his head away.

"You look happier," I mentioned, watching her.

She flashed me a genuine smile, which was pretty damn rare when it came to her.

"Maybe I am."

"Having the crazy bitch out of your life that good, huh?"

As soon as the divorce her dad filed had gotten finalized last week, she'd been less bitchy and more playful. It was refreshing seeing her this good.

"Understatement of the century, pal," she replied.

"Damn, just when I was getting used to being your knight in shining armor."

"You're no knight."

I sneered. "And you're no damsel."

Frisco snickered, while Connie's jaw dropped. When she recovered, she gritted her teeth and punched me on my arm. And since this was Connie we were talking about, it wasn't an ordinary hit. It felt like a motherfucking wrecking ball without Miley on it.

"Son of a bitch," I hissed, wincing a bit and stretching my arm. "At least, remove your goddamn rings before you strike." She had on like four, and it wouldn't have hurt as much without them feeling like needles on my skin.

She laughed darkly. "Need some cheese with that whine?"

"Said by the dickless dude," I muttered.

With that, I took off before she could hit me again. I heard Frisco laughing his ass off, quickly followed by a groan. Ha. I didn't have to turn around to know that he got it from Connie, too.