Chapter 16: One and Only

I need a beer.

Alfie put an arm around me as we walked up to the house together. The party was already in full swing. Typical. High school parties didn't wait for fucking anyone.

"Don't wanna be a shitty pooper," he started, "but don't you think you're coming on a little too strong? You wouldn't wanna scare her away."

I glanced at the faded blue mustang parked on the road when we passed it. Pretty old, but looked well taken care of. It was obvious that the owner loved the thing.

I looked away and shook my head.

"I can't help it," I sighed.

Whenever I see her . . . I don't know. It all just clicks.

"Chill out," he chuckled. "Just, you know, get to know her a little more. If you like what you see, then charge head on." He shrugged. "I ain't gonna stop you."

"As if you can," I muttered.

"Unless you're being a dumb fuck, then I gotta hold your ass in line."

I snorted and shoved at him. "You're gonna hold my ass in line? You, who rarely goes to practice without a hangover."

"Football is football," he firmly stated. "But when it comes to to love . . ." he trailed off, shaking his head before opening the door. "You, my dear friend, are a sorry fucker."

"Shut the hell up," I laughed, playfully pushing him inside the house.

He snickered and faced the crowd, who cheered at our arrival.

My phone pinged, making me reach into my pocket to take it out.

Connie

I got Halo's number. No thanks to you.

Great.

She managed to have it before I did.

I looked up and walked through the sea of people on our way to the living room. They parted to make way for us, which wasn't really something new. I felt guys patting me on the shoulder as we passed them.

"Congrats on your win!"

"Way to go, man!"

"One helluva game!"

I absentmindedly gave them nods, but still kept an eye out for Halo. I couldn't believe how my stupid ass forgot to ask for her number.Damn.

"Hey, Oz," purred a blonde girl, as she smoothly slid her curvy body up against mine. "Your were great out there."

I hung my head, already knowing where this was headed. I was not in the fucking mood for this shit. I was about to turn to Alfie when I saw him give me a smug look, saluted, and disappeared in a flash.

Thanks for being a friend and helping me out get rid of this girl, douchebag.

"Really, you were," she added, whoever the fuck she was.

"Frisco ran the winning touchdown," I replied blankly.

Go bother him, not me.

"You up for some fun?"

"Yeah," I said, looking around the room. I wondered if that dork was in the kitchen again. Better check there. "Just not with you," I added, then walked away.

Blondie scoffed. "I'm flexible!"

"Be a cheerleader."

"I already am!"