Chapter 18: Say It Ain't So

I walked down the stairs and headed towards the couches. The crew greeted me with nods, before I threw myself face first on the empty beanbag.

"What the hell happened to you?" I heard Connie ask.

"I met Halo's family."

I wasn't the least bit prepared, too. It felt like I was a trapped mouse, not being able to refuse the dinner invitation at all.

Halo gave me the chance to back out, but I didn't wanna be a wuss. I knew the moment I stepped foot inside that house, that I wasn't gonna get out easily. Coach Buckley knew it. Hence, why he wanted me to come in his home. Sneaky old man.

It was beyond awkward at the dining table. It wasn't just because I saw Meadow, Halo's ten-year-old sister, twerking in her pajamas. Halo thought it was hilarious. But me? I was goddamn scarred for life.

Sure, Halo's grandma was super sweet and shit. But even Mrs. Buckley couldn't tone down her husband's keen eyes on me all night.

They were polite, asking things about my family and school. Coach Buckley even mentioned football a couple of times. But I couldn't help but feel that he wasn't done talking to me. And I was right.

Right after dinner, I offered to help out with the dishes but Mrs. Buckley waved her hand dismissively and said I was the guest. He took that opportunity and asked me to come out with him to the backyard. My guts told me to run for it. But I didn't. Call it pride.

"Were you aware of Halo's relation to me?" he asked then, carefully watching me.

I met his stare head on. His intimidation tactics would've worked on anybody else. But I grew up with a manipulative, deceitful bunch of people. Nobody really scared me anymore.

"No, sir," I answered. Thank God for the inner politeness my whacked folks drilled in me. It came in handy sometimes.

"Son," he began, sighing and shaking his head, "I'm not sure what's going on with you. And I sure as hell don't know a lot about you. But from what I do know, it's not any good." His eyes squinted. "Do you understand where I'm going with this?"

My jaw clenched, my hands turning into fists.

"Yes," I bit out.

"Good," he said, with a hard nod. "Now I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt, because you deserve it." He pointed to me. "Don't screw it up."

Whoa, hold up. I thought he was gonna say that I should stay away from Halo. Huh. There was more to the stern-looking old man, after all.

"I won't," I assured him.

"You better, because I'm not about to stop my granddaughter from seeing whomever she wants to see." He took a step towards me and with a threatening glare, he added, "But for the love of God, son. Don't drag her in your mess."

What the fuck do I say to that?

Good thing he wasn't waiting for a reply, because he turned his back to me and headed back to the house. I could swear I even heard him mutter, "At least you got balls unlike the last one." To which, I wanted to say, "Balls of steel, sir."

But I didn't. He might chase me with a bat if I did.

"Well, that escalated quickly," snorted Alfie, bringing me back to the present.

I rolled over so I could lay on my back.

"Her Pops is the basketball coach," I informed them.

None answered for a long while. They probably had shock etched on their faces. The only thing I could hear was Eric Cartman's voice from the TV.

"I noticed they have the same last name," finally said Frisco. "But I didn't think . . ."