Chapter 11 |Part 2|: You're Gonna Go Far Kid (present)

(present)

Damn. It sure had been a while since I felt this at peace.

But last time, it didn't end very well.

Rephrase: It went to fucking hell.

Question is, am I ready for another round of that shit?

"How's the book?" I asked, shaking my head to rid of the thoughts.

"Well taken care of."

"Is it having a blast?" I teased.

"So much," she grinned, playing along.

"Really?"

"Yup! I don't think it wants to go back to you after being in my neat room."

"Wow." I laughed. "Gotta see that room, then."

Halo stared at me for a moment with an amused expression. I gazed at her right back. Hard not to look into those beautiful purple orbs.

Man, I love her eyes. It's so easy to get lost in them. There should be a fucking warning sign on her forehead or something.

"Maybe," she considered, laughing a little. "Someday."

The corner of my lips pulled up in a smile, not expecting her honesty.

"Someday," I repeated, with a low voice.

I didn't know how long we stood there smiling at each other like complete fucking dorks. But it must have been ages because I heard the bell signaling the end of homeroom. In no time, I also heard my friends finally catch up behind me.

Alfie loudly cleared his throat, making Halo's eyes switch to him.

"I'm sorry," he began in his usual mocking tone, "but my best friend seemed to have lost his tongue aside from getting lost in your eyes."

I shot him a sharp look.

What the hell, man?

He ignored me. "I'm Alfie. This is Kurt," he added, pointing a thumb to Kurt.

The big guy flashed her a wide grin, which she returned with a shy smile and a little wave of her hand.

"Connie," introduced Alfie, gesturing to the silver-haired girl beside him.

Connie nodded, but continued to study Halo. After what happened with Snow, I knew she was only being protective. Also a bit guarded.

"She's always a bitch," explained Alfie. "Get used to it."

"I think she's badass."

At that, Connie raised an eyebrow. As did the rest of the boys. I was pretty sure I did, too. Connie wasn't very popular with girls in our school.

"Oh, no. I mean, I'm not sucking up or anything," quickly said Halo, waving her hand dismissively. "I've just seen how brutally honest you are with everything and it takes a huge amount of confidence and guts to be that way." When she realized we were still staring, she added, "Okay, I'll shut up now." She smiled sheepishly and looked away.

I looked at Connie, and watched as her suspicions got replaced with curiosity.

Huh. Join the club.

"Alright, well," said Alfie, clapping after an awkward silence. "This is Frisco." He put an arm around Frisco and showed him off like a little brother.

"Hey, Buckley," grinned Frisco.

"Yeah, of course!" laughed Halo, recognition in her eyes. "Hi, um . . ."