Chapter 33: Kings And Queens

No one could deny that the three of them oozed of power and perfection. Despite their relaxed posture, their eyes were sharp and piercing. If I didn't know them, I would've been hella intimidated by now.

But they were far as fuck from perfect. We were damaged and broken, mostly from the hands of our own folks. That didn't stop us from moving forward, though. We were built to be survivors.

"My brother, Clyde," I introduced him.

He bowed slightly, still wearing that smug look.

"My sister, Diana."

She raised her martini glass.

"And my other sister, Annabelle."

She raised her hand in a small wave, before placing it on her chin as she studied Halo more. When she caught my eye, I could see the curiosity in them.

I pulled my girl closer to me. "Everyone, this is Halo."

"Nice to finally meet you," greeted Halo, flashing them her winning smile.

Diana smirked. "We'll see if you can say that again by the end of the night."

"Behave, Diana," warned Clyde in a low voice.

She raised an eyebrow at him. "You're one to talk."

Annabelle groaned. "Ugh, this was supposed to be a happy family reunion. Why did I even think that? Nothing in this family is normal."

"Wow," I scoffed, smiling sarcastically. "You are so up to date, sis. Do you also know that your high school sweetheart married his best friend?"

While Ethan Tyler might have been Annabelle's first boyfriend, Aaron Ford had been her long time boyfriend in high school. But then, he got together with his girl best friend after he broke up with my sister. She didn't say, but it was pretty obvious it broke her heart.

"Of course," she replied, rolling her eyes. "It was all over my feed." She tilted her head and smiled at me. "Is that your way of taking a jab at me? Aw, that's so cute. But you gotta do better than that, little brother."

Oh no, she didn't.

In our world? That was an invitation for roasting. Challenge fucking accepted.

"How about this," started Diana, stepping forward slowly with the corner of her lips turned up. "All your exes seemed to have found their life-long partners, but you're still bitter and alone. Pretty sad, don't you think?"

Ouch.

I looked at Annabelle and pouted. "Do you want me to call the pet shop and see if they have any cats for sale?"

"Why do I need a pet?" Annabelle smiled at me sweetly. "I already have you."

I laughed a through my nose. Slay.

"Alright, enough," ordered Clyde. It was the stern tone he always used that made us stop and listen. Just as quickly, his face turned soft again as he told Halo, "It's time for dinner. You're more than welcome to join us."

I felt her grip my hand a bit tighter.

"I don't want to intrude," said Halo shyly.

"You're not," my brother insisted, shaking his head. "Please stay."

Diana laughed darkly. "Careful, Clyde. I don't promise to keep my opinions to myself."

"When have you ever?" muttered Annabelle.