Chapter 41: Chances

WARNING: Some scenes, actions, and comments made by the characters may be sick and disturbing. In no way do I say that I agree with what has been done. You know the saying, "The author is not responsible for what their characters say and do." That applies here. I'm one of those writers who let my characters speak to me, I listen to their voices and take note of their personalities. Although I'm satisfied with the fact that Finn is sent to jail, I can't get rid of Oz's thought that it's not enough. In no way do I say that I agree with his thinking. But excluding his thoughts and denying what he thinks should be done would make me feel like a failure as a writer, because that would mean that I couldn't accept that somewhere in this world, there are people who really are as cruel as him.
_____________

"Hey, did you see the news?"

"No, why?"

"Someone we know got raped!"

"What? For real?"

"Yeah, it's all over facebook!"

"Who?"

"Finn McKinley!"

"No way!"

"But he's in jail, right?"

"Exactly."

"Holy crap!"

I almost snorted.

There was a lotta crap, alright.

I kept my face straight as I left the jet line and headed to the crew's usual table. A few girls tried to block my path but I managed to dodge their claws.

Damn. Word must've come out that Halo and I took a break because all kinds of bang bunnies have been coming up to me lately. Pain in the ass.

I nodded to my friends as I took a seat beside Connie, who appeared nonchalant as she ate her food. My eyes narrowed. She was too stiff. I glanced across from me to Alfie and his girl of the day (who wore too much red lipstick, by the way), and all was clear.

Huh. He was back to that.

Shaking my head, I chowed down my food.

"You look like shit," my best friend told me oh-so-kindly. "Is that in style now?"

"You're banging bunnies again. Who are you to judge?"

The girl beside him huffed at me. I ignored her.

"Some things just aren't meant to be changed." Alfie shrugged like it was no biggie but I caught him glance at Connie for the briefest moment. "I'm not one to force destiny."

Kurt snorted from Alfie's other side. "Yeah, right."

"Or girls, for that matter," added Alfie. "Sometimes, you gotta let them come to you."

My eyes traveled to a black-haired girl in the cafeteria, spotting her immediately in a room as chaotic as this. I watched as she bit into her burger, before smiling for the tiniest bit at something Milo said. Even though it was a small smile, at least it there was something.

I was glad.

"Is it true?" asked Frisco, before sitting down on the other side of Connie. She helped him put his crutches on the ground.

"What?" said Kurt, his voice muffled form the pizza he was munching on. I only then noticed that Gina was beside him.

I fought the urge to shake my head at these guys. Old habits sure dies hard.

"That thing that happened to McKinley in jail," finished Frisco.

Suddenly, I felt all eyes on me. Of course, they knew that I had something to do with it. I swallowed my food, then nodded at them.