Chapter 29: You Found Me

Pretty dope.

That was the first thing I thought of when I walked inside the youth center where Halo volunteered at. I got the address from Milo. He was more cooperative than Brooklyn.

The place was cozy, all woodsy and homey. It looked like a huge mansion, but it really was some sorta rehab for troubled kids. I faintly wondered who sponsored this.

I waited by the information desk that was between two large staircases, while my eyes scanned more of the place. Honestly, it looked like a fucking rest house.

"Yes, young man?"

I turned around and saw a middle-aged black woman wearing a blue nurse's outfit. She carried a bunch of sheets, looking like she was on her way to the second floor.

"Hi, I'm looking for Halo Buckley," I replied.

No point beating around the bush.

She raised an eyebrow. "And you are?"

"Oz Lacy."

Her expression morphed into understanding. "Oh, she's in the recreational room. Just go straight through there, it's the door to your right," she added, pointing to the hall to my left. She smiled, and added, "Heard a lot about you."

I cocked my head in curiosity and opened my mouth, but she already turned her back on me before I could ask more. One thing was for sure, though.

Halo obviously talked about me. And it seemed to be good. Otherwise, the lady would have had my ass by now. Damn, I needed to find my girl.

I quickly headed to the recreational room, wasting no time. It was one of those rooms that had no doors, only a wide archway. I was about to enter when Halo suddenly walked out, almost bumping into me. I held her shoulders to keep her upright.

She blinked up at me in surprise.

My eyes raked her body and I noticed that she was wearing a white knitted sweater over a pink flowy dress that went below her knees. Her black hair was loosely braided to one side. She looked like a legit nerd from the 90s.

And I haven't seen her prettier.

"Oz!" she gasped.

I didn't realize how long it'd been since I've seen her beautiful purple eyes until they met mine. Sure, they weren't really warm and welcoming right now. But hey, I'd take what I could get.

God, I missed her.

"You remember my name," I said, not meaning it to come out as sarcastic.

She shook her head in disbelief. "Wha – What are you doing here?" she asked, before looking around as if to make sure we were at the right place and I wasn't lost.

I stepped forward. "I came here to talk."

She avoided my eyes. "I'm a little busy."

That was when I noticed that she was carrying a stack of thin notebooks.

"I see." I nodded. "Need some help with that?"

"No," she refused firmly.

She was so damn closed off. It was driving me fucking insane.

"You're still refusing to talk to me." It wasn't a question.

"I'm talking to you," she muttered, her eyes staying downward.

"You know what I mean."

She turned her face to the window now. I could tell she wanted me to get lost. But no way was I going the fuck away with her like this.