Chapter 20

(Nolan's POV)

It was a few days after Lou had been discharged from the hospital, when we started thinking about our wedding. It was a cloudy day, and Lou was serving me my favorite tea while ideas basically  poured out of him. We'd already agreed that our wedding would be in 3 months, but somehow I found ways to ramble about random things.

"Wait, wait, wait. Isn't it different when it's two guys?"

Lou sat across from me and waited for me to explain.

"I just mean- Well...Like who walks down the aisle? Who gets who's last name? "

Lou: Well, first of all...we don't have last names, so don't worry about that. As for the aisle thing, I suppose it's up to the couple.

He sipped his coffee and smiled warmly. I sipped my tea and blushed lightly. I couldn't help but laugh to myself.

Lou: What's up with you? 

"Huh? Nothing...sorry."

Lou: Aw. c'mon...tell me.

"Well...I was just thinking how I never would've thought I'd be getting married. Just cause it's not something that dolls normally do...That's all. I guess I was thinking how we'd be the first to have a wedding..."

He chuckled, sipping from his cup of coffee once more. He gestured for me to come over. I immediately made my way over to him. He sat me on his lap and laid his head on my shoulder while his arms wrapped around me. 

Lou: I love you so much...

"I love you, too. My Lou Bear.."

He kissed my forehead and shut his eyes. His head tilted down, suddenly. His brows furrowed as if someone had just punched him in the stomach.

"Are you okay?"

He brought a hand to his chest, releasing a deep breath. The blonde gazed at my with his sky blue eyes and smiled.

Lou: I'm alright, don't worry about me. My chest was just hurting for a second..

"Aw.."

I placed my hand on his chest.

Lou: I'm okay. Don't worry..

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I stood up on my left foot and reached over for my crutches. By the time, I got to them, Lou had already answered the door. I swung myself toward the door and peered out. Nothing good ever came from someone being at our door.

Lou: What do you mean the portal's shutting down?

Mandy: It just is, Lou! We were hoping you might know something about that?

Lou: Um...No, not really.

Eventually, we decided to follow Mandy to the portal. A few dolls just stood staring at it, while others quickly made their way inside of it. 

"It...looks fine to me."

Mandy: Yeah but..earlier it sorta...glitched. It shut down for a minute and no one could go in or out.

Lou: That does seem odd-

Almost instantly, the portal's blue light began to flicker and the wind miraculously became violent. Dolls murmured and stared in confusion. Suddenly Lou fell to his knees, gripping his chest. He groaned in pain while his forehead was drawn to the floor.

"Lou? Lou, what's wrong?"

I sat by his side and rubbed his back. A swear escaped his lips as he rolled onto his side, while pressing against his chest.