Ch. 2 - Ghosts And Monsters

(Lou's POV)
The room fell silent as soon as the door closed. It was just Nolan and I now. Thankfully, my face was back to its normal shade. It was almost too much for me to handle. Nolan acting flirty like that. My heart would always wanna burst, and my insides would do all kinds of flips. He knew I got embarrassed when he did things like that. He stood from the bed, and rubbed his arm. I could see the wheels in his head turning. Contemplating what to do next.
I wonder if he'd be okay with me kissing him right about now... He turned and gave a half smile. Ah, shoot. I said that out loud, didn't I? I blushed light pink. I called myself an idiot and looked away again. I hated when I did that. The thought of Nolan makes my brain not work properly.
Why would I think that? We've been dating for almost a year! For Pete's sake, Lou...
A hand grabbed mine and tugged, leading me forward. Nolan and I left the building. He didn't say anything at first, but his hand never parted with mine. And that was enough for me. The few dolls that were around watched us curiously. I could see Nolan blush, but he just held my hand tighter.

"Where are we going, bunny? "

He smiled at me and shrugged.

Nolan: Home? I'm tired...

I smiled to myself.
"Okay. "

I held his hand tightly. Our arms swung side by side in a perfect sync. I could see the disapproving looks on the other doll's faces. I knew he could see them too, but we payed no mind. That's why I loved him. He didn't care about what the others thought of him dating me.

When we got home, Nolan went to lay down. He'd often get tired in the afternoons. He'd seemed like he had run a marathon. Hopefully Mandy can figure out what's wrong with Nolan...

I sat beside the brunette, who had wrapped himself in blankets. I ran my fingers through his soft hair. It was hard for me to understand how I got so lucky. I had done such terrible things in the past, yet I get to be with the most perfect doll of all. I caressed his jawline, and spoke in a soft voice. As soft as I could.
"Hey, can I ask you something? "

He opened his eyes and sat up. Our eyes locked. I hesitated, but I just had to know.
"Did you have another nightmare this morning?"

He looked down at the sheets.

Nolan: No.

"Then why were your eyes red this morning?"

He looked at his hands, which he was fidling, and shrugged.

Nolan: Weed?

"Oh, really? At 3 in the morning? "

Nolan:... Yes?

I almost laughed. He looked back at me.
"Where did you even hear that? Uh-never mind. Seriously though, you never tell me anything."

Nolan: Well, it's nothing important. Just stupid stuff like ghosts and...monsters.

"Really? You wake up crying every night because of ghosts and monsters? "

Nolan: YEAH!

His voice became loud all of a sudden. I leaned away in surprise. I frowned a little. He frowned back.
"I'm just asking. You never tell me anything. Do you even trust me?"

Nolan: Of course I do!

"Then why won't you tell me?! Why can't you be honest with me?"
My voice projected much louder than I intended. It was amazing how the mood changed in just a few seconds.

"I'm sorry, I just don't know why you can't be honest with me."

I stood up and left the room. I didn't want to say anything else that could hurt him. I'd already done enough damage.
He probably thinks I'm a jerk now. Ugh, why did I have to be so pushy?

The following morning, Nolan said Ox had requested a meeting with him. Of course, I didn't question him. I'd probably avoid me too. I felt terrible about the night before. We still slept beside each other, but he barely said a word to me. I looked up from the daily newspaper. The door had already closed, and Nolan had already left. The silence swallowed me up while and my stomach felt uneasy. I have to apologize to him. I'm not gonna follow him though...that'd be weird and I'd come across as clingy. But what if he lied and isn't going to see Ox? No... He wouldn't lie, right?