Ch. 3 - I Decline Your Offer

(Nolan's POV)

I closed the door behind me with a sigh. Why couldn't I just tell him the truth? I hate it when we fight. I began strolling forward. Lou was probably thinking I was just avoiding him. But Ox had emailed me that morning requesting to meet with me. I knew he wasn't in the institute all the time so I tried to leave right away. Other dolls said "hi" and "goodmorning" while I strolled down the sidewalks. Anyone else would like that. I hated it. Everyone was super friendly when I was by myself, but when I was with Lou... All we get are confused looks and disapproval. Sure, Lou can be reckless and pushy, but he's really not that bad. I knocked on the light green door as soon as I approached it. I wonder what Ox wants. I hope I didn't do something wrong. The door opened with a tiny creaking sound. The familiar green bunny beamed and welcomed me inside. We sat next to an open window in the living room, across from each other, on matching seats.

Ox: Thanks for coming, Nolan. I apoligizes for bothering you.

"Oh, that's alright. I'm not in trouble am I? "

He chuckled a little and waved his hand twice.

Ox: No, no. Quite the opposite actually. I was actually gonna ask if you'd like to take over as mayor?

I practically froze. It's hard to explain what I felt. Anticipation? Excitement maybe? My eyes widened and my back straightened. I was not expecting that.

Ox: You probably noticed that I'm not around that often. I thought since you're here all the time, I could hand the position over to you?

I lifted a brow.
"But what about when I go to the big world?"

He scratched his neck. He looked confused for a second, but looked right back at me.

Ox: We'll cross that road when we get there, won't we?

I nodded. I guess I might as well help the town. Plus it must be a lot of work to do on your own.
"Sure! We'd love to help run the town!"

He tilted his head, curiously.

Ox: "We"?

"Yeah, me and Lou! We'll take care of everyone, don't worry."

His smile faded. So did mine. He almost looked annoyed. He gave a nervous chuckle.

Ox: Well, I kinda meant just you...

My shoulders fell.
"But...me and Lou do almost everything together. We won't cause trouble, I promise. "

Ox: It's not you I'm concerned about, Nolan. I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna put Lou in a powerful position like that.

I looked down at my feet. I argued with myself in my head. What if I never got a chance like this again? Lou'd support me, right?
"I understand"
I looked back up. Ox parted his mouth to speak. For the first time, I couldn't hide my anger. I stood up and frowned at him.
"Lou is not a monster. He's changed. I decline your offer."
I turned to the door, and began to leave.

Ox: Nolan-

"I don't wanna hear it!"

I gripped the door knob. I turned my head to Ox.
"I'm sorry. But if you have a problem with Lou... "
I opened the door. The sound of gentle creaking broke the silence.
"... then you have a problem with me."

I stepped out and shut the door with a small thud. I sighed to myself. The nerve... turned to the side with the intention of leaving. But instead, my eyes locked with a blue-eyed blonde.

My heart almost dropped. He had a small smile, and looked as if he might cry. For a moment, we just stared at each other. The wind stopped and the birds where silent.

He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me.
Did he actually follow me here? I hugged him back, and smiled.
"You Idiot."