Chapter 26 - Awake

When I made my way back home, it was dead silent. I checked Lou's room first. It warmed my heart when the small brunette was cuddling with the blonde.

Luckily, Lachlan had already fallen asleep, because I'm not sure what explanation I could've come up with if he'd seen the blood on my hands and clothes.

After changing and having a shower, I brought Lachlan back to his own room. I kissed his forehead and closed his bedroom door behind me.

Once again, the silence filled every room in the house. I felt my eyes tear up. But I smacked myself before I could even think to cry. With that, I silently vowed to never tell anyone what had happened.

I turned out all the lights in the house and laid beside Lou like I had so many times before.

The way he breathed deeply was a comforting sound. I lay on my back and listened to the wind blow outside.

I thought about all the nice things in life. Gentle rain. Warm sun. Lou's laugh. The way Lachlan stuck out his tongue while coloring.
I smiled to myself and closed my eyes, trying to forget what I had done.

~~~

The next morning, after we had breakfast, Lachlan decided to play solitaire in his room. I wasn't sure if it was luck or skill, but somehow he'd already managed to win solitaire many times.

Anyways, it was about midday when I'd decided to check on Lou.

"Woah, it is way too dark in here..."

I opened the curtains with a big grin.

"Tada~ That's better, isn't it?"

I chuckled at myself a little, but I quickly froze.

For the past six years, the entire institute had  looked like a winter wonderland. But in that moment, the sun was shining brightly, and there were only a few puddles on the ground. My jaw hung open. I had almost forgotten how blue the sky was. I blinked hard. Is this a dream? It doesn't feel like it...

Before I could call Lachlan over to see, my eyes had locked with blue ones. I almost choked on the air I had inhaled. The blonde lay on his side facing towards me, with his eyes looking directly at me. I stepped toward him almost unable to speak. A smile tugged at my lips.

"Lou?"

He blinked, but his gaze stayed on me. My right hand covered my mouth, and my eyes began to tear up. I exhaled heavily as he began to sit up. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He looked like he wanted to say something, but instead he just took in a breath of air.

"You're awake!"

I couldn't help myself. I forgot about everything else in life and flung my arms around him tightly. I buried my face into his chest and took a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

"You're finally awake..."

I showered him in hugs and kisses for a while before he began to smile.

I took a breath and sat next to him.  When he was fully conscious, I explained to him about how he was given half of my heart and how Mandy had a theory that he was somehow connected with the institute. I told him all I could. He didn't say much at first. He just listened.

Suddenly, he moved his legs over to the side of the bed and scooted closer to the edge of the bed. He attempted to stand, but he lost his balance in an instant. Luckily, I was quick enough to catch him.

"Lou...it's alright, you shouldn't walk yet. Take your time."

I sat him back on the bed. He looked down at my legs curiously and mumbled something.

I looked down at my legs, too and tried to understand what he was saying.

"Oh...Yeah, my leg healed a while ago so I don't need it anymore."

Lou: How long.. have I.. been in a coma?

Before I could answer his question a small voice interrupted my thoughts.

Lou's eyes wandered to the bedroom doorway. So did mine. I smiled at the small brunette and gestured for him to enter the room.

Lachlan wandered over to me, but his eyes locked with Lou's. Lou's expression was unreadable, but Lachlan gazed in awe. I looked at them both, and realized that their eyes were almost the same shade of blue. Lachlan's were lighter. But I though both were so beautiful.

Lou: ..What's this?

I patted Lachlan's back.

"Go on. Tell him your name."

Lachlan: Um...I'm Lachlan.

Lou had a look of disbelief. It took me a moment, but I realized it might be too much for everything to be dumped on Lou at once.

"Hey, why don't you go play for a few minutes? Lou needs to rest for a bit."

Lachlan: ...Okay.

He left the room, with an excited look in his eyes. I couldn't help but feel the same.

Lou: Who was that? He sounds like a child...

His voice was low. He wasn't upset.. but he wasn't as excited as I thought he'd be.

"Well...heh...It's kind of hard to explain but...he's our son."

Lou: How...did that happen?

I looked everywhere but him.

"Well, you know... 'cause.. when we uh-.."

Lou: Sorry, I meant "How is it possible?".

I made eye contact with him again.

"I don't really know.. It just happened. Apparently I'm kind of.. internally female.."

I waited for him to comment. But he didn't say anything. My shoulders drooped.

"Are you not happy?"

Lou: Uh-What? No, of course I am! I'm just...surprised is all.

He looked down at his legs and moved them around a bit.

Lou: So how many years has it been?

"Seven."

He looked up at me in surprise.

Lou: Feels like it's been just a week..

He blinked a bit and processed everything.

"I know that you're probably confused.  A lot of things have changed... But I'm so glad you're awake."

He smiled at me. I smiled back and hugged him once again. I was immediately filled with exhilaration.
I inhaled his scent and felt his hands wrap around me.

He kissed my forehead and I kissed his.
I closed my eyes and pinched my arm to check if I was dreaming.

I wasn't.