Ch. 9 - It's No One

(Nolan's POV)

Lou stared at me for a second. He chuckled nervously.

Lou: What? No, of course not!

He continued to laugh to himself.
"Then why do you leave, and never tell me anything?"
He continued his nervous laughter. I could tell he was trying to find something to say.

Lou: You're joking, right?

"Where do you go?"

Lou: Nowhere!

"Oh, really? You go nowhere for 3 hours? "

He stopped his laughter and faced me.

Lou: I... I can't say.

The sound of a phone chime rung through the air. I looked to the counter behind me. The screen turned off before I could properly look at it. I turned back to Lou. He knew exactly what I was thinking.

Lou: Nolan... Don't do it. Please.

I took a step back, toward the phone. It chimed again. I was struck with curiosity and determination. Before I realized it, the phone was in my hand.

Lou: Bunny.. don't do that. Please.

His voice was still soft and patient.
My finger hovered over the power button. The phone seemed so tempting. Just one push of a button and I could see what was going on. We'd just recently gotten phones, so they were still a foreign thing to us.

Lou: Nolan, please.

He held out his hand, hinting for me to give the phone to him. I was torn. I wanted to know the truth. But I also didn't.

Lou: Nolan, give me the phone.

The screen light shone on my face, as I looked down. After a moment I looked up at him. I wanted to cry.

"...Who's.. Heather? "

He stepped towards me, but I stepped back. My voice cracked. My heart felt like it had shattered. My eyes began to well up.

"Louis, tell me. "

Lou: It's no one!

He yanked the phone from me, leaving me in tears. He sighed, almost in relief, and placed the phone on the counter next to him. He wrapped his arms around me. He spoke softly, in an attempt to comfort me.

Lou: Bunny, it's no one..

I pushed him away, wiping the tears from my cheeks.
"Stop lying to me!"

I left the kitchen, walked towards the living room.

Lou: Nolan, wait.

He grabbed my wrist, and pulled me back.
"No, I don't wanna hear it. Let me go! "

Lou: Let me explain, please! I promise, it's not what you think!

My vision became blurry, and my nose hurt. I hated myself for always crying so much. I cried out for him to let me go, while I pulled away from him. All I wanted to do was get away.

"I can't belive you! I didn't want to think you'd do this, but now I know! You're just like every other guy! A cheater! A liar!"

Lou: No, please-

"I don't care anymore! Let go of me! I can't trust you.."

I looked away from him and began to cry.

He froze. If you looked in his eyes, you could see him falling apart.  You could see him shatter as if his whole world had come tumbling down. But I didn't care in that moment. I just wanted to get as far away as possible.