Chapter 22 - Half Of A Heart

(Nolan's POV)

When I awoke, I immediately squinted my eyes at the bright light above me. My head hurt a bit. So did my chest. Heaven was colder than I thought it'd be. As my eyes adjusted, I realized that I was not in heaven. I was in a room. On a hospital bed.

Under the thin, white blanket I had on my boxers and a light green hospital gown. I looked around for any sign of someone but I was the only one in the room. I brought my knees to my chest, hoping that'd be enough to warm up. I closed my eyes and focused on breathing. I'd forgotten why I was there in the first place.

I suddenly sat up, which caused my chest to hurt tenfold.

"Ow..."

Why am I here? Did it not work? No, if it didn't work, I wouldn't be here...What's going on?

"H-hello?"

My voice made it's way out the open door, echoing out into the hallway. I lay my hand on my chest, which caused my skin to crawl. I was difficult to see, but I could feel course stitches in my skin.

All of a sudden, Mandy walked into the room with a smile on her face.

Mandy: Nolan! You're awake! How do you feel? Are you in any pain?

"Well...not really. Why am I still here? What happened?"

Her smile faded but she didn't look sad. My eyes began to well up.

"It didn't work, did it?"

She pushed her glasses up a bit.

Mandy: It...didn't go like we thought it would...

My lip quivered, and a whimper escaped my mouth. I covered my eyes with my hands, in an attempt to stop crying. The only reason I stopped was because the sound of squeaky wheels entered the room, as well as a steady beep from a machine other than my own. I looked up. My heart sank into my stomach.

Madeline smiled at me as she wheeled another bed into the room and positioned it just a few feet from mine. I stared in confusion at the blonde who lay there. I stared at his chest, realizing it was moving up and down. It looked as if he was only sleeping. He wore a hospital gown as well, and was laying on his back.

"But-...How...?"

Mandy: Things didn't go as planned...because we found another way.

I looked over at him again. His steady breathing made me want to cry more.

"But-...What do you mean?"

Mandy: He hasn't woken up yet, but he's alive. We gave him half of your heart...You saved him.

Madeline smiled and exited the room after covering Lou's body with a second blanket. Mandy hugged me tightly, while congratulating me. A smile spread across my face and my tears fell onto to my lap. I probably cried like a baby, but I didn't care. I finally had my Lou back.

I sat in the hospital bed for about 3 hours. Mandy and Madeline took care of me. They gave me tea, soup, and other stuff to help pass the time. Other dolls visited as well, like Moxy, Heather, Luckybat, Wage, Olivia, and the spy girls. By the time they'd left, Lou had still not awoken. I had to constantly check if he was breathing in order to calm my nerves.

Why's he taking so long to wake up?

Suddenly there was a voice at the door. I looked up and immediately cringed. He was one of the last people I wanted to talk to. His presence made me want to vomit again.

"What do you want?"

Micheal: I was just wanted see how you're doing...I heard about what happened-...

He began to enter the room. My heart beat out of my chest.

"Um...Could you just...stay by the door? Please?"

Micheal: Oh. Of course.

He cleared his throat and backed up. He hadn't expected me to straight up tell him to back off. I don't know what it was, but I felt like I had to protect Lou. Like I had to protect the both of us. It was an intense feeling. Like a bear protecting their cub.

"So, what? They let you leave?"

Micheal: Um, no. Actually, they added on another month.

He knew who I was talking about when I said "them". He laughed nervously. I didn't think it was funny. Maybe it was the anesthesia or something, but I was feeling extremely annoyed at him. I wanted him to just shut up and leave.

"Oh. Ok."

Micheal: ...Anyways, I um...I heard about what happened. I just wanted to see if you were okay...

"Well, I'm fine. Thanks."

Micheal: Oh...Well, that's good. I uh-

"Can you please leave?"

He looked up at me from the floor. I usually wasn't this rude to anyone, but for some reason I didn't care what he had to say at all. I didn't mean to, in fact I wasn't even aware of it, but the whole time I just glared at him. I made it as obvious as I could that I didn't wanna talk to him.

"I just...I don't feel well. And you're making me uncomfortable."

He just looked at me. His expression was all too familiar. My heart began to pound. His brows furrowed, but before he could speak he was interrupted by a voice.

Mandy: Is there a problem, here?

Micheal moved to the side, exposing Mandy, who was standing behind him with her hands on her hips.

Micheal: No, I was just-

Mandy: He asked you to leave, you know?

Micheal: Well, yeah. I was going to, but-

Mandy: He asked. You. To leave...And now I'm asking you.

Micheal looked at the ground, apologizing. He looked at me a final time and left almost immediately. A wave of relief washed over me as I let out a big sigh.

Mandy stood next to me and smiled. I wondered how she was able to do that.
She wasn't a pushover.
She wasn't weak.

Unlike me.