Chapter • 2

ZYLITH.

Smouldering, flickering, it flared and leaped. The fire licked the walls around me with a dangerous fervor. It soared and winded around the room like a huge hungry serpent, an inferno blazing out of control, the plumes of grey smoke enveloping us with not a way to escape.

It's almost funny how only a flickering spark could weave such a destructive blazing curse.

When I saw the flaming arrow zipping towards Alexteris through the massive window of the master bedroom, I was a wide-eyed ball of anxiety. I bolted to him unconsciously to pull him out of the arrow's trajectory, but what I didn't realize was that it was just a fraction of the entire plot. They not only wanted the life of Alexteris, but all the lives in the whole Eastern palace.

In no time at all, choking clouds of noxious smoke flared out as glowing embers leaped and twirled in a fiery dance, like gleeful fiends out on a hunting spree.

The flames burned with colours I never thought it would. And as I watched it engulf us in a sea of fire, I regretted not swallowing a bag of popcorn kernels. My cremation would have been an epic event otherwise(sigh). [What can I say? I tend to find hilarity in the most desperate of situations. My specialty if you must know. At least I know my sense of humor is what have kept me sane all this while.]

"You know I had dreams and aspirations of when and how I would kick the bucket." I said in lament as I stood petrified to the ground watching the not-so-entertaining hula-dance of the flames. "I wish your brother were here. When I think of dying, I want my man to die with me. Oh! Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to be rude, but I find the people who are like, 'I want you to move on and be happy' so stupid. Like, how is he qualified to be your man if he isn't willing to die for you? Call me cruel but No Sir! I ain't taking all that 'Move on and be happy without me' shit. If you have the guts to be my man, get in the casket with me..... is what I wanna say (Sigh!)." And I sighed yet again. "I know, I know! Your brother and I are not a real thing and he's only my husband in name. But at this moment, I'll take what I get you know."

I knew I was babbling, maybe in fright, or maybe in anxiety, but I just hoped and wished, if someone were listening to me, they would know of my final wishes before death claimed my soul. However, when I turned back to look at the unresponsive Alexteris, all the lamentation flew out of the window.

This guy.... he didn't look his usual self. I saw him erratically shaking all over, his eyes opened as wide as an owl's in fear. Tension grew in his face and limbs as I felt his breathing becoming more rapid and shallow. And the next moment, he was crouched down on the ground, tightly wrapping his arms around himself, while quivering like a leaf all the way.

"Prince!" I squatted down beside him and spoke in urgency, "What's happening? Alexteris are you alright?"

I grabbed his shoulders to try and support his convulsing self as I uttered nervously, "What is happening to you?"

The fierce feeling of fright that had not yet properly sunk into me, had suddenly hit me hard. From the way Alexteris was acting, I had a pretty good idea of what was going on with him but I just had not wanted to entertain that thought, for I didn't want to make my situation any more desperate than it already was.

But the fact remained right in front of my eyes. No matter in how much denial I was in, I couldn't possibly prevent myself from accepting the dire circumstances any longer.

I leaned in closer to him and asked in a voice laced with unease, "Do you perhaps suffer from pyropho..... I mean, do you have a phobia of fire?"

He didn't immediately reply, nor did he deny, but I was pretty sure I hit the bull's-eye. And as such, our situation became even more urgent.