Chapter • 38

ZYLITH.

For a second, my heart palpitated in fear as I thought that I was kidnapped by some weirdo with a bondage fetish, for I found myself wrapped and tied up in my bed comforter like a pupa in a cocoon, unable to move or budge.

But then, I saw a very poised calm Reuben majestically sprawled in front of me, looking like the world belonged to his father, and the corner of my lips had the intense urge to twitch in annoyance. This guy was obviously playing me, wasn’t he?    

“Where am I?” I couldn’t help but ask.

Reuben, who was going through some royal documents finally tore his eyes away to give me some of his attention, which seemed to worth one’s weight in gold. Looking at him seeming so, I had the intense urge to curse. 

“Of course, you are in the royal carriage as we are moving towards the South. Why ask such a pointless question, Lizzy?” He uttered with a smile.

“Why am I tied up?” I asked the million-dollar question, with a glare.

“Oh? Who said you’re tied up?” He had the gall to look at me like an innocent little child unaware of worldly matters. 

With grounded teeth, I asked, “If I’m not tied up, then what do I look like right now, hmm? Unable to move or shift, do I look like I’m playing some bondage game around?”   

“Bondage!? Hmm, good idea. But not right now, my Queen, there are people outside the carriage. I don’t want anyone to listen to your alluring voice except for me.” He dared to joke with mirth-filled eyes. 

I was so angry right now that I could even bite his head off. With much effort, I wiggled and crawled to somehow sit myself up and growled, “Your Majesty, I can’t believe you’re so wild in front of all your subordinates. What would they think about you if they saw me, your one and only Queen tied up like this? Could you afford to let your esteemed reputation be soiled like this, My King!?”  

At this moment, I felt the verse ‘Life is a highway’ to be nothing more but a sick joke played at me. If Life was really a highway, I obviously took a dirt road. I realized Reuben wasn’t just missing a screw, his whole toolbox was gone. 

“My Queen! You are little too little late to say that. To reply to your humble urging, not only did my subordinates saw you beautifully wrapped up in a coverlet, they also marvelled at the sight of it all. In other words, my esteemed reputation has long been soiled for you, my darling. I should say you should take responsibility, no?” He informed with a little mischievous glint in his eyes, and I gaped at him with my jaws dropped. “Ahem! You see now, you were sleeping so very soundly and would not bother to wake up no matter how much I tried to wake you up, so I figured I would just take you out as you were in your sleepwear since we were already running late.”

“So you, with fancy thoughts decided that taking me out wrapped and tied in the bed comforter was the best thing to do, right?” I almost howled in an outrage, my face and neck crimson with embarrassment and mortification. If my glare could kill, Reuben would be dead a million times right now.

“Right.” He had the nerve to admit it so willingly that I was literally dying with anger now. This guy was going to be the death of me one of these days.

I wanted to take out my old trusty baseball bat to hit his head a few times to set it right. Argh! This breath, I can’t swallow.

~ •••••• ~

“Your Majesty~” 

Reuben who was going through his documents, lazily reared his head up to look at me with a smile, “Hmm?”

I, who was finally set free from the bondage of the comforter, cooed in a coquettish tone, “I have a question. And I wonder about the answer, care to enlighten me with your vast sea of knowledge? ~~”  

His gaze looked at me piercingly, seeming as though waiting for a good show, as if to see what kind of fun play I was going to show him; And I, once more felt choked. This guy was really a rascal! 

“Please, do ask away my Queen. I’m curious to see what kind of profound question had you so entangled and confused.”  

“I was thinking, the person who discovered milk, what was he doing?” I asked in a curious tone, and in that instant, I heard a “Pfft!” from outside the carriage. Reuben’s face on the other hand, looked strange and a bit constipated, as if his speechlessness reached a new height. But I was not done yet. I was so irritated and annoyed at this guy who didn’t bate an eyelash while making me feel so embarrassed in front of his people, that I wanted to annoy the hell out of him in turn. 

As he, so calmly went through his royal duties without a care of the world, I wanted to defoul his rhythm and irritate him to hell and back so that he would get to feel, if not all, at least a bit congested with irritation as me.

“Your Majesty~~” I cooed once more, and Reuben’s left eye twitched, “I was also wondering, why is almond milk not called nut juice?”   

And then I heard several stifling noises from outside, but I didn’t care, and just looked at Reuben while blinking innocently. Reuben in turn, sighed like an old man who had gone through the various vicissitudes of life, and only rubbed his now throbbing temples as if giving up.

But I still was not satisfied, and wanted to choke him a few more times, so I cooed once more, “Your Majesty~~~” 

“Please, stop.” Reuben muttered with gritted teeth.

“But I still have many more questions I need answers for~~” I blinked and blinked at him like I was ignorant of his warning gaze.

“My Queen, if you utter one more word, I will have to personally teach you what the person who discovered milk was doing.” He said and I choked on my spit this time. 

Tacitly so, I shut up after that. It was not worth inviting a disaster just for a paltry shallow revenge.

TO BE CONTINUED........