Chapter ♦ 19

SHIP LAHIYELA_The Princess’s Quarters.

Princess Lydia asked Freya to go look for the dancer with the blue pendant when they were walking back to their cabin.

“What do you need from that street coryphée, Your Highness?” Frowned Freya.

“I want to ask her some questions. Its nothing much Freya, don’t worry too much, else you will soon get wrinkles on your pretty face.” Lydia laughed in a hearty demeanor.

“And don’t you realize who’s the one that’s responsible for giving me those early wrinkles?” Freya mumbled under her breath and with a sigh, followed her Princess’s orders with a worried face.

“Greetings to the only moon of the Zeldereth empire.” The lead dancer with the blue pendant soon arrived at the princess’s chamber and curtsied in a respectful manner.

“Welcome, prima coryphée. May I know your name?” Princess Lydia, who was seated at the armrest sofa of her cabin room asked with a smile.

“This humble commoner’s name is Lily, my Princess.” The girl bowed deferentially. “I-If I dare ask, have I committed any sin for the imperial princess to be looking for me?” She looked very timid indeed.

“Ah, Miss Lily, please do not fret. I called you here because I had a few enquiries to make. So you have nothing to fear. You won’t be punished or anything along that line.” Lydia soothed the frightened woman to the best of her abilities.

“This humble one shall try her best to answer all of the royal princess’s questions.” The dancer Lily, was as servile as one could get, just like any commoner facing royalty. Hence there wasn’t much to doubt her lineage or from where she descent.

So Princess Lydia didn’t beat around the bush anymore, “I want to know how did you come in possession of that blue pendant?”

“Ah! This Your Highness, I bought it in a flea market in my home town because it looked pretty.” Lily answered hesitantly, seeming squeamish and cautious as possible.

“Lily, you really have nothing to fear. If you have something to confess, this princess will definitely overlook your crimes…”

“No! Your Highness, I… I am speaking the truth. I swear on the grave of my dead mother, I got this necklace in the flea market of Balsheck last month. You can ask someone to enquire if you don’t believe the words of this humble one.” Lily quickly turned her words to present her alibi for fear the princess would be suspicious of her motives.

“…Very well. I shall take you for your word. Now, can you let me have a look at the pendant?” It was not a request, but a mere order no low-born could dream to defy. Fortunately, Lily had no intensions of defying the Princess either.

“Yes, Your Highness.” She took off the blue pendent and handed it over to Freya to pass it to the Princess.

The moment Princess Lydia held the pendant in her hands, she became aware of the origins of the pendant and her eyes consequently widened at the realization.

“…..Lily, I wish to buy this pendant from you. Demand for any price you see fit.” Lydia abruptly got off the sofa and walked to the dancer, Lily; her eyes, unreadable of her current mood.         

“Y-Yes Your Highness??” The timid girl Lily, became even more nervous as the Princess approached her.

“Ask it away, Lily. I will pay you any amount of gold erns you so ask for.” Lydia repeated, her voice poised, but if one were to listen closely, they would be able to perceive the slight tremor in her tone.

“…I…I…”

“There is nothing to fear. The Princess just wants to own this jewelry because it caught her eyes. You should consider yourself lucky for having a discerning eye for good jewelry.” Freya smiled at the nervous Lily and urged her to state her selling price for the blue pendant.

With Freya’s encouragement, the dancer Lily, finally sold off the pendant for a whooping price of fifty gold erns.

After the dancer left, “Your Highness, don’t you think fifty golden erns are a bit too costly for a measly necklace bought in the flea market?” Freya couldn’t help but voice out her concerns.

“And did you see the gleam in that dancer’s eyes as she was stating her price? Why do I feel that her attitude did a complete turn of 360 degrees the moment money was concerned?”

“Haha, don’t worry Freya, we have not been ripped off. Even if she had asked for a thousand gold erns, we would still be considered getting off too cheap, if you must know.”

“What!!!” Freya, all of a sudden, was lost for words. “Whatever do you mean, Sire?”

“Hmm, this is no ordinary pendant, Freya. It has the essence of a dragon’s breath on it.” Princess Lydia explained the worth of the blue pendant in a mere simple words.  

“!!!”

“Highness! You don’t mean…” Freya was too shocked to even put her thoughts into coherent words.

“Yes, it must be a magical item directly imported from the Halcyon realm.” Princess Lydia acquiesced to Freya’s speculations, “And so, this kind of item would not be sold for anything less than ten thousand gold erns in the royal auction houses.”

“Oh good Lords! Highness, we should have held the dancer behind to interrogate her further.” Freya became hysterical once more.

“Freya, there’s no such need. Just make sure to send back a letter telling the captain of the royal guards to enquire about the troupe dancer, Lily and her purchases a month ago in the flea market. If everything she was speaking was the truth, then the purchase should have been made there, right? And if not, we can always find her back in the troupe.” Lydia shrugged as she kept inspecting the glittering blue pendant in her hands, looking as if mesmerized by the azure pendant.

She felt a warm relaxing aura oozing out of the pendant, as if beckoning her to wear it. It felt very comfortable to her skin. She knew it was enlaced with Halcyonic magic. Most probably one of the artifacts crafted by the fairies since it had an alluring effect on its bearer but it didn’t seem to do any harm to her psyche or her physique. She also remembered that the dancer Lily had been wearing the pendant the whole time and she seemed very fine.

Hence, not worrying too much about such trivialities, Lydia ultimately put the blue pendant on.  

TO BE CONTINUED…….