Chapter ♦ 29

Zylith.

At the thought of a certain sly mummy and me falling for each other, suddenly made the world seemed like a strange place to me. I’d never imagined myself falling for his kind. Not that he was not my type, but that he was too treacherous to be my type, and too sly. 

And truthfully so, for me, love had always been, ‘I know you’re a goddamn psychopath but I’m willing to work with that.’ And trust me when I say this, I’ve seen my fair share of Stockholm syndromes working out with psychopaths and having their happily ever afters. So no, I was not interested in becoming one of them.  

“My dear Lizzy, please do not be fooled by his looks and demeanour, do you not remember that he had sent you off to get married to my old brother at the very beginning? He is just using you for his own gains and nothing else. All his love and affections will crumble apart once you are of no use to him.” The Queen Dowager meekly tried to reason with me.

‘Oh? Then are you saying that you are not going to use me for your own gains as well?’ I thought, but still said nothing. 

“Think about it, if he had really fancied you, would he have tried to marry you off with someone who would be detrimental to you at first? How could you fail to see his true colors?” She urged earnestly once more.

‘Ah! Thank you lady, I see it all. I not only saw His Majesty’s very very true colors, I saw yours as well. So, it really is no use trying to persuade me.’ My lips remained tight but my mind was in a constant spree of cursing and grumbling.

“I understand if you are conflicted. After all, this is a very grave decision, but my dear, your father and his household can’t wait for too long. So, I hope you come to a decision as soon as possible. I know it is wrong for me to compel you to commit treason, but consider my situation as well, Elizabeth. We’re all trying to survive here.” The Queen Dowager’s rose-coloured words sounded so righteous and noble that one couldn’t help but be moved. I vaguely understood why she could still sit so firmly on the seat of the Queen Dowager to this day. 

I perfunctorily acquiesced to her words and made my way to my palace in a hurry. 

The moment I entered the parlour, I saw three big heads meandering around the room like a pack of headless chickens, looking as tensed as ever. Whereas Fredurd, Liana and Rubia stood on stand by, their expressions frazzled while they shifted their weight from side to side in an anxious demeanour. 

The corner of my lips twitched a little as I walked in and asked, “What are you guys doing?” 

And abruptly so, all six pair of eyes looked up at me with fervour and fierce enquiry.

“Your Highness! Are you okay?” Lord Xavier walked forward to look at me from top to bottom and asked, worried.    

“Haha.... what could happen to me? I just went for morning tea with Her Majesty, Queen Mother.” I smiled stiffly at the lot.

“But...”

“Well, what are you guys doing here? Have you guys all become so idle to come and hang out in my parlour so early in the morning?” I cut Liana off, my eyes sharp, warning her solemnly to say no more.

Because now, the Queen Dowager had torn off her ‘Mother Teresa disguise’ in front of me, I doubt I would be able to breathe alone time without any spies keeping their eyes on me. I could instinctively feel that even at this moment, I was being eyeballed by hidden ninja-like personals. How dare I say nonsense so openly now. 
My fingers hidden underneath the sleeves of my clothes subtly hand gestured, cuing that we were being monitored and that the game had gotten even more dangerous now. 

My teacher, Lord Vilavelt had not only taught me history lessons, he had also taught me secret sign language which would come really handy in desperate times such as now. I couldn’t be more grateful at this moment as all the people in the parlour came to a pin-drop silence as some even let out shaky breaths. 

“Well, I just had some personal things to discuss with my wife, so... it would be great if all of you left us alone.” Alexteris guised as Reuben came forth to make things seem more natural and took my hand tentatively while walking towards my bed chamber.

I secretly heaved a sigh of relief as I obediently followed him.

While we walked, he quietly traced in my palms, his words, ‘What happened?’

I replied in the same manner, ‘The Queen Dowager attacked Ronales.’

Alexteris’s hand holding mine slightly shook but there was not a trace of an anomaly on his body language. (Sigh!) Royals really were Royals.

‘Did she find out about you?’ He asked.

‘No, but the duke had threatened me to cooperate with the Queen Dowager or I shall be exposed.’

‘What did the Queen Dowager want from you?’

‘Treason.’ 

And Alexteris’s hand shook even more. But he still looked normal and unaffected.

‘I shall take care of the eyeliners of the Queen Dowager tonight and we will discuss what to do from here on out. You just act like always and don’t give them any chance to doubt you.’ He said.

‘Okay.’ 

And we entered my bed chamber and started playing like a normal married couple. 

................

Dusk soon veiled the skies of Reveldron and soon it was midnight. 

As instructed by Alexteris, I pretended to go to bed early and at the dead of the night, I heard supressed suffocating noises, and sounds of muffled thud and bams. I knew they were dealing with the Queen Dowager’s people and I couldn’t help become more restless as I tossed and turned in my bed.

After about what felt like a lifetime, I heard six indistinct knocks on my windowpane. It meant the deed was done and that I should come out of the room to be escorted off.

TO BE CONTINUED.........

~ ......... ~

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Get ready guys, there is a surprise for you all in the next chapter(Hehehe_Evilgrin.jpg_)