Chapter - 47

AUTHOR's NOTE

Dear readers, hope all of you are doing great in life.

I am so sorry that I went into an unannounced hiatus all of a sudden last November. It was because I was finding it so very hard to keep up with work and my extracurriculars.

As many of you might know, I am an intern at the moment, and it is so very hard to juggle into work fresh out of med school. And my board exams are coming right up after my graduation, so I was taking a little time off social media to get my schedule on board with internship and my board exams.

Sorry if I had kept you guys hanging by a cliff 😅
Hope you awesome people will understand and be supportive of me. Wish me luck, guys 🙏🥲

And now.... Enjoy! 🤭

~ ••• ~

ZYLITH.

Have you ever felt like the person who was sitting in front of you could tell exactly what you were thinking about?

Yeah, that feeling! That sinking feeling of being openly read and influencing their every thought and actions. The very art of reading minds, that was the vibe, the man who was sitting across me and staring back at me with a serene smile on his face was giving out. 

Creepy, I know.

"D-Done with what?" I stammered into his smiling face. 

"(Chuckle!) Do I need to say it out loud, my lady? Your thoughts, that is." He retorted in a pleasant manner. 

"N-No, thanks." I don't know why, but for some weird twisted reason, I did not have the confidence to listen to his thoughts about me.

Reuben seemed to have guessed my thoughts again, and hence, he chuckled once more in mirth. 

The noble lady Dusbry, on the other hand, looked very embarrassed as she was left in the sidelines with no one paying any attention to the poor her. I did feel a bit bad about her predicament, but who told her to look down on me and openly hit on Reuben. Reuben was the kind of guy who would watch you drown with a pretty smile on his face if you were not useful or irrelevant to him. So, a naïve little noble lady was not even comparable to the speck of dust on his soles. 

Humiliated and discomfited, the lady soon left with a rather green expression on her beautiful face. 

"Don't feel bad for her, my Queen." I heard from the person in front of me. "She dared to wantonly be frisky with a married man right in front of his wife. Such individuals deserved all the humiliation in the world and more." 

I was unexpectedly reminded of the dumb step-sister of Reuben who was being explicitly coquettish with him the first time I met her and wanted to be impulsive and comment about that step-sister from back home.

"What? Do you have something to add?" He raised his beautiful brows with a smirk.

But then again, Nevermind. "N-No. Nothing."

But he didn't mind anyway and just kept smiling creepily, as if he knew exactly what was going on in my head. 

"Is it delicious?"

"H-Huh?" The absent-minded me, rose my head up from my food bowl to look at Reuben in confusion. Nine out of ten voices in my head screaming danger whenever this guy sprouts out nonsense like this.

"I said, is the food delicious?" He muttered again, as softly as ever, but it sounded more like a devil's whisper to me if you're wondering.

"....Yes?" Was my perplexed reply.

"Ah great. Eat, eat some more then. And don't you worry my Queen. After all, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Small, large, circle, square, thin crust, thick crust, stuffed crust, and extra toppings. Here, eat some more of these too." Looking at the jerk's dazzlingly smooth smile that was urging me to keep stuffing my face, with grudges burning in my eyes I slowly put down the spoon the was about to go into my mouth.

One of these days, for sure, one of these days, I will have my vengeance(Sniff!) 

~ ••• ~

Whatever maybe the case, I would've forgotten and forgiven noble lady Dusbry's misdeeds if she did not decide to haunt my ass as though she were a vengeful ghost after my blood. 

She did not even spare me on my way to the washroom. With vicious antagonism in her eyes and stomping feet, she stood in my way while nature was calling desperately to me. 

"Could you please excuse me?" I politely wanted to run for the comfort room but this lady did not take the hint at all.

She bit her rosy red lips and did not let me pass, her eyes were spitting fire while she folded her delicate arms around herself like the noble lady that she was and said, "We will play it fair."

Me, "???" My brain was not in a state to understand her love riddles as I felt more and more unable to hold myself back.

"Whoever can win his heart first will win. Consequently the other will give up. How about it?" She raised her chin in a haughty demeanor as she spoke.

"....Excuse me, but can we talk about it in a minute 'cause I..." I tried to acquit myself from this crazy airhead but she was a tough nut.

"No! Excuse I shall not. Not until you accept my challenge." She refused to let me go for the love of God.

"Lady! If you don't let me go this instant, I fear nature might retribute against you." I begged with pitiful eyes but she did not seem to get the hint at all.

"Why? Are you scared you will lose? Whatever may be the case, I am not letting you go today until you promise otherwise." She adamantly kept blocking my path, as if her life depended on it.

For a while, the atmosphere remained in such a deadlock, as none of us were willing to back down. 

But in the end, I couldn't help but sigh, and with a stretch of my hand, I gently patted on the shoulder of the lovesick lady Rubbly Dusbry, and eagerly advised, "You'd better give up. He is not the kind of person you can approach easily." 

It was an urgent warning and concern from the depths of my heart to an innocent woman who fell into the well-known beauty trap. But as it is said, the eyes of a lovesick person wearing rose-colored glasses of affection are already very blind.

The expression on the noble lady Dusbry changed for the worse. Her face and neck flushed red with sheer rage and naked animosity as she screamed into my face, "You're looking down on me? Who do you think you are? Do you even know who I am?"

I suddenly seemed to understand the difficulty of trying to communicate with dumb people. It's like playing the piano in front of a cow and expecting it to understand the essence of Beethoven.

TO BE CONTINUED...........