Chapter 33

For the next week, Mark pretty much ignored me. What broke our silence was when we devised a plan for me to take care of Riley and him, Seàn, when they broke up.

Riley was hysterical. She was crying and didn't want to leave her bed and didn't want to talk and didn't want to eat, but I took care of her the best that I could.

Apparently Seàn was pretty heart broken too. Mark and I texted each other every day just to give updates on our friends. It was almost like we were divorced parents or something, checking in with the other for parental reasons only.

As fucked up as it is, part of me was jealous. I'd never say any of this out loud, but I wish I got a chance to cry like this and let myself feel everything I need to when mark and I "broke up," but we were never together to begin with. My heart can't officially break for someone who never officially loved me.

"I know, Riles," I cooed, petting her hair like a dog as she rested her head on my lap. She wasn't sobbing anymore. Silent tears slipped down her face and dripped onto the exposed skin on my ripped black jeans. It's day 4 post breakup and she still hasn't eaten anything without me practically forcing her too.

The only time I've seen her smile since their breakup is in her sleep. I bet she's dreaming about him holding her and kissing her and loving her and...

My mind wandered off to Mark, as it always did. It wasn't until Riley looked up at me annoyed and then stroked my cheek, her expression softening, that I realized that I too was crying.

"Why are you crying?" She asked. Her voice was broken and cracked, but I could hear the underlying concern.

I wiped my face quickly and sniffed, trying to laugh it off.

"I didn't even realize I was," I giggled.

"Good," she said, flopping back down. "We'll try not to cry on me while I'm crying next time, okay?"

I couldn't help but chuckle a little at her remark.

"You're such a bitch," I said, rolling my eyes and pushing her head off my lap, causing her to fall onto the floor.

I burst out laughing and to my surprise, so did she. Her eyes were still teary and leaking occasionally, but her smile was prominent and her laugh, as deep and maniacal as always.

"You're laughing," I said, wiping away my stray tears.

It took her a second to calm down.

"I am," she said through a smile. "Now help me up."

She says cross legged on the floor and accepted my outstretched hand. It was foolish of me not to assume that she'd pull me down with her.

"Fucking ow!" I yelled, bumping my head on the coffee table in her living room, causing her to start laughing again, just like she was before.

And in that moment is when I knew. My head was throbbing and my eyes watering. The sound of my very best friend gasping for air through heavy, hideous laughter rang through my ears. And the hardwood floor beneath us was freezing as I felt something I hadn't in a long time.

No matter what happens, everything is going to be okay.

A/N: 562 words
Keep reading, okay?
Just trust XD