Chapter 5

A/N I UPLOADED TWO DAYS IN A ROW WHAT THE HECK WHO AM I????

My dad had to go on a business trip to Florida, but my mum who doesn't work decided to go with him and make it a road trip.

Home alone for a few weeks, I went downstairs, blasted some emo music, and begun to make some pancakes. I'm going to make the most of this. I'll go out at night when I'm not usually allowed, maybe have a sleepover with Riley since my parents aren't convinced I'm actually gay and therefore won't let her stay the night, and maybe even smoke some weed or something. Who knows?

Despite my freedom and plans, I spent the entire day watching tv and sketching random things that popped into my head. Just because I wasted my day doesn't mean I need to waste my night. I decided to send a text to Riley.

Me: Hey Riles come over I'm bored

It didn't take her long to respond at all

Riley: And what's in it for me, nerdo?

After thinking for a second, only one thing popped into my head.

Me: Snacks?

Riley: Omw

I chuckled at her response. Of course that worked. I know that she'd have come over either way and that she was joking, but I decided to run to the store to get her some snacks anyways.

I rode my bike to the convenience store that's about a 5 minute ride away. After fiddling with the store door handle a few times, I realized that they were in fact closed. The only other place I knew of that sold heath bars, Riley's favorite candy bar, was on the other side of town.

Riding my bike there felt more peaceful than it should have. It was late at night and dark out and kind of spooky, but the cold wind on my face and the sound of passing cars was so calming for me. This week has been a bitch. I need tonight to go well. 'Please,' I silently prayed. 'Please let tonight be a good one.'

I walked into the convince center store and headed straight to the candy section. Riley's favorite candy was actually peanut butter cups, but those aren't allowed in my house.

I browsed through the candy bars until I finally found one. I got sour patch kids for myself and was walking towards the chips to get us some Doritos to share when I overheard a conversation.

"Hello!" Said a woman. She sounded middle aged.

"How are you?" Asked a man. He had a deep voice. Sounded familiar.

I listened to them make casual conversation before I realized it was him. As soon as the possibility crossed my mind, I looked up and sure enough, I saw Mark Fishbach. He was scanning the woman's items and went to grab her a pack of cigarettes. I absolutely need to tell Riley about this.

Me: HOLYSHITRILEY

Riley: What?? Are you okay???

Me: Mark works at stop and save!

I slipped my phone into my pocket, not bothering to read her response, as I already know all it is is a stream of random capital letters.

*meanwhile, in Ethan's pocket*

Riley: DBDHGDAJDBAKDNALAJDJAL

*okay continue reading*

We were across the store from eachother, so he probably couldn't see me now, but God what if he did.

I found my Doritos, stalled for a bit, and eventually walked over to check out.

"Oh hey there!" Mark said in what sounded like a genuinely friendly voice. I didn't respond.

He didn't try and talk to me after that, apart from telling me my total. "That'll be seven thirty fou-," he said, but cut himself off.

Before I knew what was happening, Mark pulled me in behind the counter and shoved me to the ground. My first thought was 'really dude? It's one thing at school, but at your place of employment is just fucking pathetic,' but when I heard a deep voice tell everybody to get down, I knew what was happening.

I froze. I'm in a store that's getting robbed. There's someone with a weapon ready to go off just a few feet away from me.

I didn't know what else to do besides quietly crawl up next to Mark's feet and stay as silent as I could, so that's exactly what I did.

As I listened to the man tell Mark to open the register, I looked up at the security cameras.

The man was wearing a black ski mask and had a gun pressed to Mark's temple. I almost gasped upon seeing this, brining my hand to my mouth to keep myself from doing so.

Mark looked so calm. With one hand in the air to signify him being unarmed, he opened up the cash register and looked at the guy, raising an eyebrow as if to ask if it was okay to bring the other hand down.

He grabbed all the money that was in the cash register and handed it to the guy very casually.

"Okay," Mark said calmly and softly. "There's your money. Please don't hurt anyone."

The man turned on his heel and quickly ran out of the store, listening to Mark.

After about 30 seconds, Mark announced that he's gone and everyone began to get up off of the floor, but I stayed put.

"Is everyone okay?" He asked, his voice filled with kindness and sincerity, something I've never heard before. "Did anyone get hurt?"

I didn't hear anyone answer.

I looked up at Mark and he was talking to people, but I couldn't hear him.

I could have almost died. Especially since I'd have been in his way.

Mark gently pressed his hand to my shoulder and brought my back to reality. "Stay right here," he said as he left the safety of behind the counter.

I did as I was told, not even sure if I could move if I wanted to.

As Mark dealt with everyone, walked people out to their cars so they felt safe, called the police, and locked up the store, I kept a watchful eye on the clock. It was moving so fast. I could have sworn I'd been sat here for only a minute or so, not nine.

"Ethan," Mark called eventually.

I snapped my head towards him, alarmed. Seeing him there made me want to cower in fear, but I also felt like I could finally relax.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly, yet clearly.

I wanted to say yes, but the words just never came to my mouth. Instead of verbally answering, I nodded my head and tried to stand up. It hurt like a bitch. I definitely had a sprained ankle due to the way I landed when Mark pushed me down. Nothing too bad, but certainly unpleasant.

He must have noticed my pain because he reached out a hand.

"What hurts?" He asked. He sounded so genuine, as if he actually cared. I think in that very moment, he actually did.

"Just my foot," I muttered. "I'll be fine."

"Can you walk okay?" He asked, looking into my eyes.

I have no clue what's up right now, but I felt safer than I ever have. He was treating me like his friend or like a concerned stranger, not like the person he calls a fag and beats up for fun.

As much as I wanted to drink in this moment and fall into Mark's protective facade, I snapped back into reality.

"Why do you even care?" I asked, shaking my head and taking a step forward, wincing in pain and failing to hide it.

Mark took hold of my arm to help me regain my balance and I let him.

"Because right now you're a customer in my store," he admitted. Of course it was too good to be true. I just nodded in response. I guess some stupid part of me actually thought that he might have cared.

1333 words