Chapter 25 - A Path To Freedom

Okay. Just keep it cool. Stay calm.

You swallow the heartbeat that has pounded its way into your throat. With a sweat-laced grip on your crutches, you hobble off the elevator into the Lab. Right there, in the middle of the room, stands Tony - red faced with arms cross tightly against his chest.  Over his shoulder stands Bruce. You catch his eye, seeking an indication of how this talk is about to go. But he does little more than cast you a warning glance.

Crap.

"Y/n," says Tony curtly. "Would you please step into my office?"

"Wow, so formal," you tease, trying to abate the tension. "What's this about?" you ask innocently.

"We need to talk," says Tony. 

He turns on his heel and strides back to the tall double doors in the back of the lab that separate the lab clutter from his personal clutter. Stomach churning, you hobble after him, shooting Bruce a death stare on the way past. He grimaces under the weight of your stare and takes a subtle step back and away.

"You too, Jolly Green Giant. Don't think you're going anywhere," Tony calls out over his shoulder.

"Shit," mumbles Bruce under his breath.

Together, you and Bruce take a seat in the leather chairs of Tony's office as he leans on the front edge of the desk, only an arm's length away.

"So, Y/n, I hear you're advocating for a jailbreak."

Your gaze flits to Bruce - murder in your eyes - before stammering back a response to Tony.

"Wha-me?!" you say, feigning surprise. "No way, I was just...well, Banner told me you were worried about him spending so much time alone up there. Time to plot, right? I mean, no one wants that."

"And so your solution is to what?" Tony huffs. "Just let him out? Let him waltz around the tower like it's his own goddamn stage?"

"Well, no, not exactly," you say. "You see, I-I thought maybe that...well, it could make sense for -."

"Hell, I know you're new at this," Tony interrupts. "But here's a bit of crime fighting 101 - don't let a rat out of its cage."

"Right, I agree," you say, growing flustered. "B-but Tony, what are we going to do with him? I mean, he's just going to stay in there? Forever?"

"That's the idea," Tony snarks.

"But what if we didn't have to deal with him anymore?" you argue. "Thor said he could go back to Asgard if-!"

Tony holds up a single hand before bringing it to his bridge of his nose, trying to rub away his irritation. "Listen, squirt. You've got a big heart. And I know you've spent time with Rock of Ages up there, but if you think he's changed, you're wrong."

The tips of your ears burn as an angry heat rises in your cheeks. But you force yourself to stay calm and take a deep breath, lest you give your secret away. For a moment you consider using your Perception to find a better way to play Tony's emotions. But you squash the idea the moment it arises - Tony would know. You need a different approach. A different tactic. 

"Tony, we're the Avengers, right?"

Tony looks up at you, a look somewhere between annoyance and intrigue on his face. "No, we're the Merry Wives of Windsor. What's your point, kid."

You wince at his derogatory use of the phrase 'kid', but ignore it.

"So we're the good guys?"

"Get to the point," Tony frowns.