Chapter 26 - The Game

Loki's smile grows larger as it spreads across his face. He hasn't lost the predatory look in his eye as he advances on you.

You keep those green eyes held tight in yours as he gets close enough to touch. But you don't make a move to disarm the tension he still holds in his shoulders, nor the narrowing of his gaze. Instead, you remain still, listening to the fading *whirring* of the elevator cables as Bruce descends back to the Lab. 

Finally, the room goes quiet. No elevator. No breeze through to open balcony doors. Just stillness as Loki's gaze travels your face, hunting for a reaction. 

You give him nothing. 

"So, darling," he finally says, bringing a single finger to your cheek and gently dragging it down your neck. "You've negotiated my very limited freedom." Your eyes flutter closed, and you bite back a shiver as that single, simple touch sends waves of electricity down your arms. He leans in, and lets his lips dance along the shell of your ear. "You've been busy, pet."

Your heart stumbles at his words. But Loki's tone isn't the playful, mischievous one you've heard lately. It's deeper, and laced with darker intent. You're somewhat surprised, and concerned that he didn't let down the charade when Bruce left. A piece of you wants to use your Perception - to read his intent. But Loki is on a ledge, and reaching into his emotions may just push him over. So you continue to play the game - his way.

"I made a case for your integration into the better part of society, yes," you exhale as Loki pulls back to find your gaze once more. 

"And I suppose you think I'm grateful for the - opportunity - to be forced to socialize with your witless band of friends," he says, snarling at the word 'friends' as he snatches back his hand, that gentle touch no longer on your cheek. 

Your gaze hardens as you find his response confusing. He seems genuinely angry, and yet you can't be sure that this isn't part of the game.

"I asked for your freedom, Loki. Otherwise you'd be forced to live alone up here for a very, very long time," you say. "Don't you want to even have a chance to go home?"

"Home?" Loki sneers, rolling the word across his tongue as if it were a bitter paste. "You truly think I will ever be allowed back in Asgard?"

"I do," you reply. "If you can fulfill the terms of your banishment."

"To see mortals as equals to myself?" sneers Loki, genuine disgust seeping from every word.

"Maybe not in might, or magic. But in civility. In morality and ethicality, yes. We're all man, Loki," you say, your tone softening. You don't like where this conversation is going.

"There are no men like me," snarls Loki. "I am a God."

"Loki...," you caution, an edge of warning in your tone. But the look in Loki's eyes tells you he's no longer playing a game. You've touched a nerve.

"You humans are all the same. You step upon each other's throats in your lust for power. For control. And yet it is only under the control of others that you cow, and prosper. So tell me then," he turns to you, flames in his eyes. "Is it not the natural state - the unspoken truth that humanity craves subjugation?" Loki advances on you until he towers over you. "Humans are weak. Lesser. You were made to be ruled by Gods like me," he roars.

Your heart sinks in your chest as you feel the dull weight of his meaning hit you, knocking your breath away.

"And what about me?" you ask quietly, gently holding his emerald gaze.

Loki's glare softens as he realizes just how close he's drawn to you, and just how menacing a posture he's taken. Shrinking back only slightly, he responds.

"What about you?" he spits.

"Do you really see me as weak? Lesser?" you ask, as for the first time you're genuinely afraid of what his answer might be.

"Y/n I -," for the first time, Loki is left speechless. But only for a moment. "You are the exception, darling," he says, sitting on the coffee table and letting out a tired sigh.

"No. I'm not," you offer. "I'm nothing special. I'm just another mortal. And if you can see me as more than that, don't you think you could come to see others that way too?"

Loki drops his head, staring at his hands as he ponders what you've said. Yet his lip curls just the smallest bit around the edge at your suggestion.

You let out a soft, disappointed sigh and your stomach sinks as you realize that maybe Tony was right. Maybe this was a bad idea.  "Okay," you exhale. "Fine, I...I'm sorry. You don't have to leave the tower. I just...I thought you'd be pleased," you say with a sigh, readjusting your grip on your crutches. "But I suppose you'd rather stay up here alone."

Loki glances up at you, confused and mildly panicked as you start to hobble over towards the door. Before you have a chance to make it there, you feel the crutches knocked out from beneath you, and you fall safely and softly into Loki's arms as he begins to carry you to his bedroom.

"Loki, stop...what are you doing? Be careful," you hiss, squirming in his arms as a dull pain in your ankle start sending throbbing pulses up your calf.

Loki sets you down gently on his bed so that you're resting against the headboard before sitting next to you and taking your left hand in his. He turns it to expose your palm, and brings it to his lips, pressing a gentle, sweet kiss in the middle. A habit he had picked up doing ever since you allowed him to enter your mind.

"I would never choose to be alone over being with you," Loki says softly. "And if that means I have to...socialize...with your puny friends - then so be it."

You lean forward and place your forehead to Loki's. "You know that means you'll have to be less of an almighty ass to get along with everyone, right?" you say.

"These fools doth think themselves wise," Loki says in a grumpy sneer.

You laugh as Loki once again quotes the Bard. "But does this wise man," you poke his chest. "Know himself to be the fool?"

Loki pulls back and gives you a curious look.

"What?" you smile slyly. "I took high school English."

"So it appears," Loki smirks despite himself, and crawls around the side of you, slipping in between you and the headboard, pulling you close. You lean your cheek against the soft fabric of his t-shirt, and allow the sweetly spiced scent of his long, soft raven curls to engulf you. "I...am grateful, darling. For your efforts," he says reluctantly. "Although I take no joy in the prospect of being so near your mundane compatriots."

"Oh they're not so bad," you snicker. "They'll grow on you."

"I have never wished for anything to grow on me," Loki frowns in distaste. "Particularly people, of all things."

You roll your eyes and press a tiny kiss to the underside of Loki's jaw. "You'll see," you whisper. "Just give it a chance."

Loki lets out a non-committal hum, but his arms tighten around you.

"Besides," you say, snuggling into his chest. "This earth has music for those who listen."