09 | Introspective: III

100%
██████████

Word Count: 8,385

__________________________
▲‌

༄ Today was a long day at work. Both Fado and I started early and finished late. Today he let me do heavy work, finally, such as preparing and stacking up hay bales. We also spent lots of time repairing the fences. All this work including tending to the goats.

     Fado also let me tag along with him to prep the bottles of milk we've been preserving to get them delivered. I learned that every week a man with a wagon and a horse comes to collect them to sell and distribute across businesses. That's how Fado earns his side of the bargain and keeps the ranch well paid for. Luckily, Ordon produces the best milk, cheese and our pumpkins of course that Jaggle himself grows for a living. So that weekly man comes and collects plenty of our sources.

     I sighed, allowing my legs and toes to stretch right above the water. Fado and I had come to chill behind the pillar into our village's lake again. It felt nice to have a good swim after a long day of work.

     "Maybe he did, and so then what?" Fado chuckled. "Hm?" I turned to him after stretching my arms as well. "Well, Link. Like you said, he might'a gone off to find himself—and who knows? Maybe he already has," he implied. I took a moment to think for myself. "Maybe, but it wouldn't explain the strange monsters. What if he's actually trying to find the children?" I shoved my palms down my thighs, massaging the sore tendon today had given me. I then looked up at him with my hands on my knees, "maybe he's a coward."

     Fado immediately shook his head, "no, I'd never took Link to be the type." He looked down at his hands while he played with some grass in between his legs. He had his elbow resting on one bent knee while his other leg float in the water. I took a moment to examine his posture before raising a brow, "okay, so you think that to stop talking to someone you were once close to out of the blue with no explanation is courageous?" He gave a smile with a huff.

   "Link may be stupid. Hell, all men are. But he ain't ever been a coward, trust me," he reassured once again. "But," he leaned back on one hand and looked at me, "he was always a soul searcher as much as he went n' denied it. Perhaps he gone n' found his place."

     I looked at him in the eyes. Perhaps I hinted a tad bit of pain through them, but I didn't say anything. Seemingly noticing my expression, he clarified, "but of course, I'm sure he'll come back when he's ready to let the village know. With the kids I'm hopeful."

     "Or maybe he's dead." I coldly stated.

     Fado turned his gaze to me right away. "Y/N, why would you think that?" I looked away from him, "Fado, you didn't see what I saw that day."

     Silence filled the blankness of our gazes for what seemed like a whole minute.

     "Then. . ." he began, "tell me what happened." I snickered, "wow. You're serious." I looked up to see him already attentively listening. I leaned back on my hands and sighed deeply. "Okay," I furrowed my brows in worry, "I'll tell you."

     I explained to him the events of the day the children disappeared. I told him how those monsters smashed the gates open and shot Ilia, concussed both Colin and Link. I was the last to go as I tried helping Ilia up.

     "Those monsters, so ugly," I scrunched up my nose in disgust, "so viscous and disgusting. They seemed of pigs, ugly green pigs with rotten teeth that reeked of death." I didn't even look up to see his reaction, I just adjusted my jaw and grit my teeth.