03 | Monachopsis: III

100%
██████████

Word Count: 4,664

__________________________
▲‌

     ༄ "Wait up!" I giggled, running after Link as fast as I could, my feet thumping against the moist ground wildly. He laughed, running ahead of me but of course his little feet always being much speedier than mine.

     His stamina was over-the-top and it was understandable having been raised a wrangler. I, on the other hand, was a stay-at-home caretaker. Not that the person I cared for needed any care, more like caretaker of the house itself.

Link ran over a slope atop little Fado's home and I grinned mischievously when I felt I had finally cornered him. "I got you!" I yelled when he backed up against the big tree. I noticed him searching for an exit, but I knew I had him. I laughed, about to head towards him to tap his shoulder, "TA—" I was cut off after he hopped up and began climbing the tree. I frowned, clenching my fists at my sides while glaring up at him who was furiously making his way up.

"Not fair!" I yelled.

Personally I felt like I could be efficient at physical challenges but the anxiety of failure gets to me. Trying to climb that tree was scary and I was prone to failing and falling, so I never tried.

Why not just try, right?

Well, I'm not too embarrassed of falling in front of the village people, they're so nice I'm sure they wouldn't make fun of me. . .my uncle influenced my ways, timid and meek.

Link had already gotten to the top in which he plopped down on a giant branch and grinned brightly with his eyes closed. From the bottom, I kept my glare at him.

Walking up to the tree, I placed a hand on the vines clutching some in my grip. I looked down at my exposed legs, pausing for a second before letting out a shaky breath and placing a foot on the vine. I pulled myself up by clutching more of the vine further up in my other hand and continued this to make my way upward.

I stopped for a bit to look up at Link who was gazing down at me with surprise and curiosity, his mouth agape a bit.

After 3-4 clumsy climbs I began to tremble in nervousness and my grip began to loosen unconsciously. I gasped when a vine snapped and I lost grip of the vines entirely, falling backward and landing straight on my back. "Gghhk!" I grunted on impact, shutting my eyes closed and gritting my teeth.

"Y/N!" Link yelled, his eyes wide, instantly scurrying down. Halfway down, he let go and landed on his feet, catching himself with one hand before sprinting towards me.

I sat up, my back aching. I winced, furrowing my brows and reaching towards my back where it hurt. He frantically dropped beside me on his knees, checking me for injuries. "Are you hurt?" He worried, not knowing what to do since he didn't want to exactly touch me. I groaned, leaning back on my arm. "I'm so sorry!" He panicked, reaching his hands out.

My cheeks flushed red after I fully acknowledged what had happened to me. I gave him a small glare. "N-not fair, Link!" I stuttered, frowning. I could feel my nerves rising and I began to tremble just a bit in waves. He placed his hands on the floor, keeping his focus on me. "I won't go up there again! Promise!" He swore eagerly. Unamused and frustrated with myself, I accepted his apology. "The f-fall was-wasn't so- um-high an-nyways," I shivered. He looked at me with a worried expression and helped me up, reaching out his hand for me to grab.