05 | Monachopsis: V

100%
██████████

Word Count: 2,967

__________________________
▲‌

     ༄ Brightness stung my eyes through my eyelids, causing me to tense up in discomfort while my arm raised to block it off. Squinting, I opened an eye, slowly adapting to the light in the room. The light that had left me yesterday had greeted me this evening in its full glory.

I think I'd slept most the day.

I grunted, lifting myself up with gritted teeth attempting  to sit up. Sighing, I looked up to find Uli and Rusl discussing something a couple feet away from me. I looked down at my wound which felt much better. But the slight blood that creeped from it was dark and old, it smelled of sweat. I should clean it up to avoid infection. . .

It smelled of warm soup which intrigued my senses a great amount. Before I could scan the room, my eyes trailed off to the sword beside me. "Huh?" I whispered in confusion. I noticed it was no longer there. Perhaps Rusl might've taken it.

"Y/N! Oh, you're up!" Uli said relieved as she walked up to me, interrupting my thoughts. "I have a question for you, dear—forgive me for bugging as you have barely awoken," she smiled as she stood beside me. I looked up at her, nodding. I noticed Rusl walking up to us as well, his hands on his hips. "Do you happen to know where the sword is?" She asked warmly.

My face instantly expressed confusion, averting my gaze from Uli to Rusl, who then held his arms crossed, and back to Uli. "You didn't take it?" I asked in disbelief, my words a bit slow, "I thought—I thought you left it here." I looked down where Uli placed it, gesturing towards it with my hand. "How could I know?" I asked, looking back up at them with slight stress.

So it's gone. They trusted me and it's gone.

Rusl shook his head and walked closer to me, placing a hand on my shoulder to reassure, "it's alright, Y/N, there's no knowing what could've happened—but I believe you." His face showed a warm smile.

My stare fixated on the floor soon after his words. Rusl retrieved his hand and there was a short silence. I had a feeling that perhaps they were looking at one another. Uli then placed her hand on mine which was resting at the corner of the couch, "I'm gonna switch out your bandages, alright?" She stood up and walked off to the other side of their tiny abode, presumably to collect some first-aid supplies.

"I'm continuing my search," Rusl spoke, catching my attention as I looked up at him. He took a last glance at Uli, smiling. Uli could barely return it, since she seemed mostly worried. She walked towards him with bandages, a rag, and alcohol in her hands. She managed a hug around his neck with the items still in hand, standing on her tiptoes. After burying her face in his neck, he returned the hug with his hands around her waist, careful of her pregnant belly.

"I love you," she whimpered, letting go of him. "You better be safe! Don't be reckless!" She pointed a finger at him with the bottle of alcohol in her hand. She tried to express sternness, but her sadness and worry easily drowned it out. A chuckle and a loving smile escaped him, "I promise." He gave her a kiss on the forehead in which she leaned against, soon leaving her as he opened the door. "I'll be back later," he waves off with that same smile towards me, closing the door behind him.

The scene was a touching one, leaving even myself sad. I looked over at Uli who let her stare drop to the ground in sadness. She quickly began walking towards me though, sitting in the chair in front of me. I didn't know whether to comfort her or say nothing, but I decided the latter when we exchanged looks of empathy.