xxxiii

Annika stared out of the window, her eyes heavy and her head swirling with several thoughts which only led her head paining, she was stressed and anxious

Annika stared out of the window, her eyes heavy and her head swirling with several thoughts which only led her head paining, she was stressed and anxious. The atmosphere in the car felt quite dense, the sounds of the traffic heard in the background. When she looked at Shivaay, he had his eyes focused on the road, but a frown on his face said otherwise, like he was thinking too much, like she was.

Annika was grateful to have him drive her back home, it would have been hundred times harder to head home if she went there on her own. "Thankyou Shivaay, I -" Before she could have completed the sentence he interrupted. "Hey, you need not need to thank me, I understand your situation and if someone else were in your place, I still would have done the same for them" Annika couldn't help but smile, he was such a great human being, if only the world was full of people like him, it would have been a better place.

Annika found herself calling Gauri to inform her about her sudden departure and explaining the situation back at her home, Gauri tried her best to cheer up her best friend and telling her that it was all going to be alright, she wanted to accompany her but her job was holding her back, she had already exhausted her number of holidays for the month, and she didn't regretted doing so until now.

Shivaay glanced at Annika, it worried him to see Annika so dense and he hated that he couldn't form the correct words to make her feel better. So he did what he could do, he let his hand find hers, intertwining their fingers. Annika felt a headache crawling at the back of her head. "Take a nap Annika, you look tired" She sighed heavily. How was she supposed to sleep when there was so much going on inside her head? She shook her head, feeling his grip tightening.

"Annika, I know it's hard for you to fall asleep but then, you need some rest before you go hours without falling asleep. I'll wake you up once we're there" Annika did consider his words, sighing, she closed her eyes, trying her best not to think about the surgery. It felt hard to not have thoughts about her father lying on the hospital bed with tubes attached to his body, to think of her mother's scared face and the antiseptic smell of the hospital which she loathed the most.

Shivaay watched her through his corner of the eye, her chest heaving up and down, wondering what all was going inside the head of hers. He kept his eyes glued to the road. If he looked at her one more time, his urge to hold her while she slept and soothe her pain would come back again, and right now, he didn't want to pull over and do that.

After several minutes, he decided to stop over for some food, and Annika immediately hopped off, she was about to tell him to pull over as she couldn't control her muscles down there anymore. "I'll be here when you come out" Shivaay said, as he saw her disappear into the washroom at the backside of the shop. He looked around, grabbing some chips packets and some candies.

After he was done paying the bill, he took his phone out, only to find messages from his clients and one from Khanna. He shoved the phone inside as soon as he looked at Annika walking towards him. Her eyes were swollen, hair tied in a messy bun and her body drained of energy. Shivaay let out a brief sigh, he hated that he couldn't do anything to make her feel a little better.