Chapter 37.

I head back to dorm. Shayne soon follows and I hear him talk and curse to himself. "Those stupid, stupid clowns. I hate them. I hate them." he constantly spits out. The three Erudite laugh as he walks past them. He slams his drawer shut as he pulls out a long sleeved t-shirt. He quickly removes the t-shirt he is wearing and switches it with the one he pulled out of the drawer. I get a brief waft of the scent of oranges as he pulls the shirt over his head. He throws the old shirt into the wash before laying on his bed. 

"Rough day huh?" I ask removing a bit of finger nail from my mouth. He moves his hand down his face. 

"Yes. Though not as rough as Bayley's day from the screams I heard. Poor kid." He says opening a bottle of water. "What about you?" He asks. 

"I nearly drowned to death. I still feel the water in my nose and ears and I can still taste stale bubbles in my mouth." I say. Shayne gulps half of the water down in one sitting. He screws the bottle cap back on and walks over to me before sitting next to me. "I can't believe how real those simulations are and I can't believe initiation is almost over." He says. 

"Neither can I. It seems like a million years ago that we were jumping off the train for the first time. I hope that I pass, I don't think I would fit anywhere else." I say. I notice the distance I have in my voice. At the moment it sounds like a hollow hole. 

"You ok?" You sound a little distant?" Shayne asks picking up on my noticeable change of tone. I try to fake a smile but I can't because it isn't legitimate. "I'm ok just a little shaken from the simulation." I murmur. Soon the dorm begins to flood with people (the simulation is still on my mind I am guessing) some enter crying, some enter pale, others enter casually but I can tell that their barrier is fragile like egg shells. I see Eric enter the dorm wearing a sleeveless top which exposes the tattoos on his arms and the muscles that have been built over the years. He wears a grin on his face. Connor walks in an puts his arm on my shoulder. Eric clasps his hands together. "Initiates you will be glad to know that tomorrow will be the final test. Those who pass will be part of Dauntless those who don't...well let's just say I will be seeing on the streets." He obnoxiously laughs to himself despite the silence of the room. He clears his throat. "So be aware that only those who are worthy will be the ones who stay." He says before walking out of the dorm and like magic the conversations re-appear. I was tempted to ask him about Erudite becoming Dauntless's best friend but I would only get a knife in my throat.

Dinner finishes and I un-noticeably head off to the parlor, Tobias is already there. Casually leaning against the wall. He is nothing like Marcus, Tris seems to be kind and loving not cowering away at the sight of people like Evelyn did. The Marcus effect. I walk over to him and he greets me with a smile. "Well hello Ruby fancy meeting you here." He says a little too formally. I lower my eyebrows but I hear footsteps behind me. I look behind me and see a young couple hold hands. A man with bronze skin and a young girl with dark brown hair. Uriah and Marlene. Uriah moves two fingers away from his temple and nods almost like a salute. "Evening Four." He says looking quite nervous. Uriah looks up to Tobias.
"Good evening Uriah, Marlene you two up to anything tonight?" Tobias asks. I see Marlene glance her eyes between mine and Tobias's face. "Just paint balling with Lynn, Zeke, Shauna and a few others. What about you?" Uriah asks whilst Marlene carries on with her glancing eye between me and Tobias who shakes his head. "No just going for a walk. Tris is having pre-wedding stress." Tobias replies, he looks over to Marlene who has a quizzed look on her face. "Everything ok there Marlene?" He asks. 

"Mmmm. You two look pretty similar. Are you related?" She asks pointing to me. Tobias looks to me and quickly turns back to Marlene. "I don't see it, anyways you had better get going. We all know Shauna has timing issues." Tobias subtly says. 

"You're right. Cya Four and Ruby." Uriah says waving. Marlene has a flirtatious smile on her face, surprising with an innocent look. Tobias watches the pair of them walk off into the distance and he turns and smiles at me. "You ok kiddo? You seemed a little worried earlier." He asks with the tone of voice I remember. 

"Can we go somewhere private?" I ask. 

"Sure we can go back to mine." Tobias replies. We both walk down a hallway which is covered in graffiti and exposed pipes. The old fluorescent lights flicker with every step we take. I continue to stare at the tips of a tattoo which are on the back of his neck. We turn right and he opens a black door. We walk up a set of steps before he opens another door. We both enter his apartment.

I look around it, the walls are plain white except from one wall that has the words ''FEAR GOD ALONE''  painted in red. I never thought Tobias was religious, Evelyn and Marcus were they used to always attend church on a Sunday. I see the bathroom which is attached to the kitchen and a refrigerator in the corner. And I can see a small part of his bedroom that has a blue patchworked cover on his bed and a desk that is attached to a wall. "No Tris here?" I ask him. 

"Nope she is having to work late." He simply says pulling out a can of beer out of the fridge. He offers me one but I decline it. I have never liked alcohol, it is over-rated. He cracks it open and takes a sip. "So what was it you wanted to talk about?" He asks. I take a seat on a wooden chair and I run my hand through my hair. "I-I think Erudite are planning something." I struggle to say. Tobias lowers his thick eyebrows. "What makes you think that?" He asks. 

"I keep seeing them here. I see Jeanine talking to Max and the other day when I went to see Cheryl in Amity they saw me and took me back to Erudite headquarters. And Jeanine has something planned the way she spoke to me was almost like she was in charge. They are coming for Abnegation and...Divergents." I blurt out like bile. I don't mention Connor because I think that would be enough to give Tobias a heart attack. And I don't want that on my conscience I am already dangerous enough. "Please tell me it isn't true." I whisper. He puts his can down by the sink and approaches me. "Listen, Erudite have been planning this for at least a year. I kept seeing them here when Tris was going through initiation." He holds my hands.  "You're going to be ok kiddo. There is a chance it won't go through, but if it does I won't let them lay a finger on you." He tries to make me smile and I do for appreciation. 

"But right now you need to focus on that final test tomorrow." He says. 

"Ok. I need to get going back. I thought that you and Tris should know what may happen." I say standing up. Tobias hugs me. "You're going to be ok kiddo I'll protect you and Tris. Even if it means me dying. I'll protect you." He whispers. I know I can rely on him he is my brother. But what about Connor? Tobias isn't going to protect someone he doesn't know. But I guess I'll have to protect Connor. Even if it means me dying. Jeanine can do whatever she wants to me but she can't lay finger on Connor he means too much. 

I walk back to dorm and calm myself before the final test, which has been years in the making.