Chapter 44.

We run towards Monroe Avenue without any set-backs. Natalie runs to the edge of a red brick building and she puts her back against the wall with her pistol to her chest. She peeks her head around the corner for a second before snapping it back.

"There's a truck with several Dauntless scattered around it. We won't make it past." Natalie whispers. Tris still sobs over what she has done to Will. But that is the price she has to pay for the rest of her life. Blood is a permanent stain. That only washes off after years of hoping it becomes easier to deal with each day that passes.

'Killing is never right'

"Then what do we do?" Dwayne asks he has a concealed anger that claws out of his mouth. "They killed my parents. I want them all dead. Every. Single. One." I have never seen Dwayne like this, he has a tight grip on the trigger and he chomps at the bit to extract his anger onto the Dauntless. But nearly all his family have been killed in one night. I can see the Lopham's laying on the ground next to one another. Natalie sighs. "When I distract them you four run as fast as you can I'll catch you guys up." Natalie says. As soon as she finishes she steps out and she begins to fire rapidly at the opposing Dauntless. We all run to the alleyway and dive onto the stone floor. Natalie follows and continues to fire as she runs.

It is only when she comes near to us I notice how dilated her pupils are and how pale her face is. I look to her torso and see four red wounds that drip with blood. Natalie falls to the ground and her eyes flicker rapidly. "No Mom!" Tris screams pushing me out of the way and she goes by Natalie's side and clutches her hand. Tris strokes a strand of hair out of Natalie's face. Then slowly Natalie's eyes close and life escapes her body. "NOOO!" Tris screams hugging Natalie's body. I feel my own tears stream down my eyes and splash on the grey floor. Tris looks up to us and her hands shake. "My Mom is dead." She gasps through her breathless lungs. Dwayne lowers himself in front of Tris. "I'm so sorry Tris." He says quietly. I hear the roar of another truck arrive and the heavy footsteps of the Dauntless which are looking for us, like an eagle scowering for its prey. "We need to go now." Dwayne says. He picks up Tris who resists letting go of her mothers hand. We weave in and out of the bullets one even catches a strand of my flying hair. I close my eyes and I grab onto Connor's warm hand.

We survive the gunfire and make it to the same house, at the expense of Natalie and the people we have killed. Tris's hand is covered in blood, her mother's innocent blood. The only light that is in the safe house pours itself in from the windows. I faintly see the grey metal shelves which almost go up to the roof. The safe house seem empty the only sound I can hear is Tris's sobbing and the ringing from the bullet which could have been lodged into the back of my head. Slowly people pour out of the shadows. Their features of their faces seem silver and black. I recognize a few of them; Andrew Prior, Susan Black, the Cotton's who lived opposite me. From the looks they project to me and Tris they don't remember or recognize us. But we are covered in bruises and blood and scars.

Though the one person who I don't want to be recognized by clearly does know me too well. Dark blue eyes that haunt me, the tall and slim figure which use to cower over me and the dark blue shaved hair which would often drip with sweat after what he did to me. Marcus Eaton. Andrew softly moves him out of the way and he quickly moves his head. A young man follows behind Andrew. Caleb Prior with an un-tucked white shirt which hangs over his black trousers. "Where's Natalie?" Andrew asks.

Tris shakes her head and the sobs get louder and louder, Caleb begins to join in with the crying. Andrew swallows a big empty lump in his throat before hugging hugging the pair of his children. "She died protecting us." Tris whispers.

"Her sacrifice wasn't in vein." Andrew says trying not to cry.

"I knew I should have never have trusted Jeanine. I left as soon as I found out that this was going to happen. I'm so sorry." Caleb says. Marcus hasn't taken his eyes off me. Any moment now I am expecting his leather belt across my face. He walks towards me and I edge back as I tightly grip onto Connor's hand again. Connor hasn't taken his eyes off Marcus either, instead I see fire in the blue irises. His jaw is tightly clenched like a bear trap and with every step Marcus takes Connor's grip gets even tighter. "Sonia is that really you? My little girl all grown up?" He asks with a smile and the sound excitement. The hall quietly erupts into discussion. I let go of Connor's hand.