Chapter 40.

The transfers and the Dauntless borns all stand together in the Pit. Half of us will have their lives beginning today whilst the other half will live among the factionless. Max takes centre stage besides Eric. "Initiates you have reached the final stage of initiation. Those who will pass will be part of Dauntless those who have failed will be factionless. Half of you will leave us here today." Max says with his loud voice. Connor grabs my hand and he almost crushes my fingers, but I don't care I feel kinda flattered that he's kinda confining in me. In fact I am surprised he acknowledges me after what happened earlier. I close my hand around his, "Ya know when I told you that I have never been as scared in my life, well I take it back now is the time I have never been so scared in my life. And that is after the fear landscape."  I whisper to Connor. His hands are warm and wet with sweat but his skin is still horrendously soft. I'm a little envious. This guy is perfect, nearly too good to be real. But he is real that is the thing, we have kissed, we have hugged, we are holding each other's hands. I am his and he is mine that is the way it goes. No matter what happens I have met him.

"Weird how a board with a load of names on it can determine the rest of your life. But as I have said we are here too stay." Connor says.

"Now we reveal those who have passed." Max says. I pick my head up and I tighten my hand which holds Connnor's. Tight enough his knuckles begin to crack but he isn't faced by it. The board behind Max lights up with red names that go down the screen. Time slows and so does my brain one by one I read the names;

1. Ruby

2. Connor

3. Aspin

4. Keira

5. Shayne

6. Ryan

7. Olivia

8. Jason

9. Ramone

10. Naomi

The crowd shatters like a mirror with each shard being a different reaction; crying, laughter, cheering, shock, some stand still and take everything in like me. I still have a tight grip on Connor's hand but the realization slowly sinks in through the pores of my skin and into my blood stream and into my heart causing it beat faster. I smile and so does Connor and underneath the shouting we kiss infront of Olivia and Shayne for the first time. His warm lips taste sweeter than usual and I find it hard to draw away from his pull. We both smile as we stare into each others eyes. I see the reflection of my face in his dangerous eyes. We turn to face Shayne and Olivia who are still in shock. I have come first in initiation, my friends have all passed, I can srill be with Connor a little longer and Jessica, Oliver and Lewis have all failed making them factionless. Three victories in one. "As you can probably tell me and Ruby are an item." Connor says with his arm around me. I nod my head to his words.

"Well about time." Shayne says.

"Well done you two for passing. Ruby and Connor the power couple." Olivia says as we all hug one another.

"Thanks. Same to you." I say. We all walk out of the pit still high on our victories. I walk hand in hand with Connor who has kissed me at least a dozen times from the small distance from the Pit to the hallway that leads us back to the dormatories. But I am grateful, because with each kiss our relationship gets stronger. Tobias runs over to me, luckily too happy too notice that me and Connor are holding hands. He practically hugs me and picks my light body up from the ground. "Haha well done kiddo. My little sister all grown up." He says joyfully.

Shayne and Olivia stare in shock again. "He's my brother guys." I say. They nod their heads. And Tris greets me with a smile, "Well done Ruby welcome to Dauntless." She says as she cups Tobias's hands in her's. "Thank you Tris." I say. I guess now Tris and I are practically family now her and Tobias are engaged to be married within a matter of weeks. I'm kinda excited to see a Dauntless wedding. To see how the bride looks. To see the cake and of course the celebration. I see Aspin, Ryan and Keira walk over to us and like we are now they are also wearing smiles.