The Initiate Chapter 11

Chapter 11.

“How is Marcus holding up?” She asks looking at the scars on my arms. How dare she act like nothing has happened? She is standing there like butter wouldn’t melt.

“As good as can be expected, considering you have been making a load of bull crap about Abnegation.” I say. She smiles and looks at my scars she knows the truth no matter how much I deny it.

“If it was Erudite I would know by now Sonia.” She says holding my hand up and studying the tattoo I got yesterday. The rage I had earlier has come back, all I want is to get away from Marcus’s beatings and focus my time into passing initiation. But every corner I turn reminds me getting rid or trying to escape my past isn’t easy. First Oliver preaching the words of Erudite’s attacks and secondly I’m inches away from the woman who is behind them all.

“It’s Ruby now. I named myself after my favourite colour.” I snap my arm back nearly elbowing Connor in his sternum.  

Jeanine smiles exposing the hidden wrinkles on her face. Why is she even in Dauntless? She should be in Erudite dealing with all those that have either transferred or decided to stay. “Nice. I like it.” She says whilst glancing her watery grey eyes over to Connor who has an angered expression on his face. Did she do anything to him whilst he lived his days in Erudite? “And Connor Flair; if you haven’t changed your name that is.” She says. Connor looks at her with a fragile smile that I could wipe off with a wet wipe or one that will crack at the slight build of force.

“Well I just went with who I am. Test rooms and glass beakers and weird coloured fluids aren’t for me.” He replies.

“No of course. Nice to see you have flourished since your brother’s death. Well you have both made impressive choices; despite your father Sonia and the test results you have both obtained.” Jeanine says fixing her eyes back on to me. A lead pillar falls onto my chest with brute force. Does she know I am Divergent? How? Tris manually entered my result in Amity didn’t she? Tris stressed how dangerous it was for me to be Divergent. If Jeanine knows what I am I’m as good as dead.

“You…have seen my t-test result?” I ask with a shaky voice. My palms warm with sweat.

“Well of course I have seen everybody’s results.” Jeanine says putting her hand on my shoulder. “Let me know if you need anything.” That means she will know I am Divergent if Tris didn’t manually enter Amity as my result. I’m dead I know. She follows Max into the control room.

Why is she going in there? She has no business here.

 Dauntless and Erudite are on good terms by all means, but I never thought that they were that close. Tonight I’ll be sleeping with both eyes open from the threat of Jeanine Matthews and Jessica, Oliver and Lewis.

“Well that was strange. Why is she even here?” Shayne asks as we begin to walk.

“They are hunting for Divergents. That is the only thing that they talk about know.” Connor says. His words fly through me like a spear. Am I really that dangerous that an entire faction are hunting for me? I don’t want to be.

“Oh please I mean c’mon Connor Divergents don’t exist. They are myths like unicorns right Ruby?” Olivia says coming out of her Amity shell a lot more.

“Yeah myths.” I say quietly and lying. Hopefully this is a sign that no one else has locked onto what I really am if these three haven’t.

Shayne and Connor share a laugh. “Trust an Amity to bring unicorns up.” Connor says as his fingers skim the jagged rocks.