Chapter 18

Chapter 18.

Feint white lights are enough to wake me up. My eyes ache and my vision is blurry, my body aches as though my skin is officially no longer olive but rather blue and black one massive bruised mess. As my vision has become clear I realise that I am not in the dorm with the other transfers. For example there is a man with dark orange hair, shirtless and his shoulder bandaged up. And next to him another male with jaw length hair his face is bruised and a plaster is running across his forehead. I must be in the hospital ward.

A voice, soothing and gentle creeps upon me and makes my heart melt. “Hey how are you feeling?” they ask. I turn my hand and see a male with a slightly bruised eye and all black clothing stand next to a ginger haired girl and a dark skinned male. Connor, Olivia and Shayne all stand beside my bed.

“Sore what about you guys?” I ask.

“The same we are all bruised.” Shayne replies. I notice that they are all wearing the same clothing, black trousers and black leather jackets. They are all going somewhere.

“Where are you going?” I ask with a lowered set of eyebrows. They all share a look with one another. “We are going on a field mission for initiation we'll be setting off soon.” Connor says with his voice that automatically soothes me. Just a glimpse of the perfect human being. I try to get myself up and of bed. “I-I need to get myself ready.” I push the sheets of my body and lean against the metal pole. Connor lightly puts his hand on my collarbone.

“Don't.” He whispers. They all sigh whilst sharing a sympathetic look.

“They released the leader board and you have been cut, finished from initiation.” Shayne speaks with the un-relentless honesty he has been brought up with. Those words have officially shattered my broken body beyond repair, if I have been cut then that means I am factionless. I begin to cry and I let my head fall to my pillow despite the good it will do. My sadness transitions into a wave of anger and honesty.

“What do you mean cut? Unlike Olivia I won some fights she hasn’t won any.” I growl through my gritted teeth like a wild animal.

“But you lost more fights than me. Eric said that there isn’t any point in you continuing, despite Four trying to convince him to let you stay.” Olivia says a little too viciously then again I did just take my anger out on her. It isn’t her fault I’m factionless now, it is nobody’s fault. I run my hand through my messy hair and curl up into a ball.

“You’re Marcus Eaton’s daughter you can see if they will let you go back to Abnegation.” Shayne says trying to uplift me. I shake my head, “No I can’t go back. I’m not Abnegation I don’t belong there!” I say as loud as my broken body will allow me to say.

“We should go.” Olivia mutters before hugging me; Shayne follows her actions and wraps me in his thick arms. Then Connor follows in with the hugging me, as though they will never see me again, as though I am going to die. That pretty much sums my life up now.

I get the scent of his body the usual lime and ginger and I feel his body heat lay on top of me the last time. He wraps me tighter than the others did, and longer but not long enough. He then moves his lips to my ear and whispers “Don’t give up. Try one more time.” Before he lets go of his hold and falls away to follow the others. As I see them leave my tears fall in full motion, I shouldn’t be crying here but I’m factionless now. A factionless Divergent that doesn’t belong anywhere in this city.

But then Connor’s words come back to me “Don’t give up. Try one more time.”  In an instant I get up and tie my hair in a ponytail and rush over to them whilst trying to rebuild the parts of my broken body together like I have done my entire life. I’m ready to fight because I am a fighter, I control my life now.

I run to the train platform and try to catch up the red lights moving away from me in the dark night. I nearly collapse in pain but Connor’s words are there in my mind to ignite my flames and get me to run even if it kills me. I run up to the train and grip on to the handle bar and grit my teeth in pain, Connor sees me and pulls me into the car. He simply smiles and hugs me.

“Made it then?” He asks. I nod my head as I am unable to speak because my body is in agony. I feel the clasp of two hands on my shoulders; Olivia and Shayne. I turn to face them still with Connor's strong and stable arms wrapped around my body. I apologize to Olivia again before Eric walks over to us, with a scowled mouth he is pissed I can tell it a mile off. He pushes Shayne out of his way and he ovetowers me with looking at me with his flame filled eyes. "Who let you out?" he asks distirbingly slowly. A few minutes of silence passes us until Eric opens his mouth again. "Who...let...you...out?" He asks even slower. I swallow the ball of nerves that has built up in my mouth and pluck the courage to speak up. This very moment reminds of when Marcus questioned me in Abnegation no matter what answer I gave him my skin would meet a leather belt. "I let myself out." I say. Eric's face slowly turns into a smile. "Ok." He says before walking off. As I watch him walk away I see Four smiling to the ground, he glances his eyes at me briefly and just for a small moment, one small moment I see the brother that left me in Abnegation, the one that made things seem ok for once...But that being said he did still abandon me and I can't forgive him for that.