The Initiate Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

I fell through the air at first I felt my full weight but now feel weightless. And free. I feel like a bird taking its first flight. I didn't care what was at the bottom, I wouldn't have cared if it killed me because I would have died smiling.

I got the feeling (the first feeling in what seemed like an eternity) of a net throwing me back up, then calming down after I had landed on it. I was pulled down by a large hand. 

"Ah well, over the past two years Abnegation initiates have jumped first. I think you lot are a set of dark horses." Said a young male with dark hair and bronze skin smiling he had white teeth. "I’m Uriah and you are?" He asks lowering his smile. Then it comes to me that only 35 year old married women are called 'Sonia' not 16 year old girls with their entire lives ahead of them. 

"S-Sonia." I say. Uriah lowers his dark eyebrows along with the corners of his mouth. Judging by that look he thinks the same. 

"You can change it if you want to." Uriah quietly says. He's right a new faction, a new name and hopefully a new life. 

"It's errm R-Ruby." I say. Ruby I have always liked that name maybe it is because it links to my favourite colour red. 

"Nice I like it." Uriah nods his head. "First jumper Ruby. Welcome to Dauntless." Uriah says over the cheering from the observing Dauntless members.  I then walked over to the side. And listened as the Candor male jumped down into the net. 

Eventually everybody jumped into the net. There was a buzz between the Dauntless born and the rest of the transfers. 

"Ok Dauntless born initiates are with Christina and Charity." Uriah says pointing to two tall willowy females, one had dark brown skin with short black hair the girl next to her was pale with wavy brown hair with pink lipstick. I vaguely remember her from somewhere Amity? No it can’t be Amity transfers to Dauntless are rare, there again so are Abnegation transferring at all and Olivia is an Amity born. Speaking of Olivia she is standing by Connor and the Candor male still shaking from the jump. The Dauntless born all walk over to the two women and soon disappear down a tunnel leaving a crowd of teenagers in different coloured clothes; blue, black, white and even the gray and the red and yellow from the two Abnegation and Amity. “Alright those that are here are with me and Four.” I look past Uriah’s shoulder and I see a familiar face shine in the dim light, I can’t be I can’t be…as the figure comes closer my fears become more real. It’s Tobias my older brother the one who abandoned me.

Despite wearing Dauntless clothing he looks the same as he did all those years ago. The hooked nose, olive skin, the dark hair, the tall and muscular frame all take me back to the choosing ceremony three years ago. Where he selfishly poured his blood on to the lit coal of the Dauntless leaving me with Marcus and his daily beatings. Tobias of Four looks over to me his eyes widen and his mouth opens. I don’t if he is surprised to see me, surprised I am alive or surprised that I have chosen Dauntless. He closes his mouth and swallows.

“Follow me.” He says the crowd follows him and Uriah and all I’m doing is standing still in shock. I guess the anger hasn’t kicked in yet.

“Move it stiff!” Shouts the Erudite girl shoving me out if the way. Her two friends follow her one was a female with brown hair that had blonde streaks running through it the other was a skinny pale skinned male that had a small mouth and a dimple in his chin. I begin to catch up with the crowd until I was standing by Connor, we go through a dark tunnel the walls were jagged rocks and every footstep echoed. We walk until the crowd stops in front of metal bridge that had roaring water underneath it.

“This is the Chasm, a reminder to us here in Dauntless that there is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. If anybody jumped into the water then they would be dead instantly.” To- Four says, his voice has become stern and cold like. I notice the sharp rocks of the water and the waves submerging them. As we carried on being shown the Dauntless compound I notice to points on the back of Four’s neck that come out from his black t-shirt. No doubt a tattoo of some sort. We arrived to a large open space that is full of life, Dauntless life; people sparring, climbing walls, getting more tattoos and running. There were blue lanterns hanging from various points and there were step steps and narrow walkways that connected this part to other parts of the compound. “And this is the Pit, the heart of Dauntless where life happens.” Four says. The more I look to the Pit the more I am drawn in, the glass roof, the buzz of life and a potential vision of what my future life could look like. I glance between Four and The Pit from my old life to my new life. I wonder why Tobias calls himself Four; is it significant? Is it to help escape our shared wounded past? If it is then I can’t blame him that is part of the reason as to why I have officially become Ruby. I really hope the Sonia part of me can go to a better place now.