Chapter 39.

I open my eyes and Tobias helps me to my feet. Tris types onto the computer, he helps me out of the room and we walk down a hallway. "How did I look?" I ask him. Quietly.

"Good kiddo. If there is any justice here then you will be definately in, and believe me justice is something Dauntless take very seriously." He says with a smile. He quickly hugs me before re-entering the room. I walk down the hallway and I untie my hair and sigh at the fact I have to play the waiting game. I head back to dorm and eat a muffin.

I am still shaking from what happened in the fear-landscape. I have killed myself, I have faced my worse fears for an un-guaranteed place in Dauntless. But if I come last or first, I have met Connor, I have built bridges with Tobias and I have learned so many life lessons. And I can smile. I see Connor walk in and I drop the muffin on the bed and I launch myself towards him with a hug. Despite the sweat patches on his white t-shirt there is no place I would rather be. I kiss him on the lips to make sure he is real, I have seen him several times in the fear-landscape, I want the real version. He kisses me back running his hand through my hair. "Please tell me you are real." I whisper to him.

"Of course I am. Why shouldn't I be?" He asks with a smile. He takes his t-shirt off and I see every ridge of his muscles and every patch of his olive skin. I want my skin to touch his maybe for one last time.

"Just that you were in my landscape. Three out of seven and you nearly died in one of them." I say as tears come to my eyes. He puts a grey t-shirt on and disappointment fills my mouth. He smiles and hugs me again. The smell of fresh cotton makes me smile. "You nearly killed me in one." I say burying my face in his solid chest. "I'm here now alive and so are you." He says stroking the back of my neck with his finger. "I had five fears; spiders, being blown up, claustrophobia, seeing my brother die again and seeing you suffer." He says. "But we are here now. And we will conquer the world together because we are warriors." He smiles. "Can I ask you a favour?" He asks.

"Sure." I say. He clears his throat a little.

"Can you erm remove your hands from my butt you squeezing it a little too hard." He says awkwardly. It is only then I realize where my hands are and I remove them quicker than Jeanine can say kill. My face turns red with heat. I feel sick with embarrassment. "I'm sorry." I say looking to the floor. He laughs and kisses my forehead. "Don't be Ruby it is the first time it has happened I'm kinda flattered it has happened." He says. "Look at you. A few weeks ago you have never touched anyone but now you're touching guys butts." He says and he chuckles again. Our lips draw together again this time longer than the last time and I feel ignited by his flames. No matter what happens I have met Connor, that is something to smile at. We draw ourselves apart as more people walk into the dorm suddenly I feel cold and my shivers without his arms around me. "I'm going to see Tobias I won't be late." I whisper to Connor. He touches my wrist before I walk out of form. 

Tobias is already there in the hallway, Uriah must have taken over. Tobias is talking to a tall girl with pale skin and a skinny but built frame. Her blond hair goes past her shoulders, they both share a laugh. I walk up to them disrupting this little conversation. For some reason my body is fuming at the sight of Tobias and this girl, I thought he was engaged to Tris. "Hi Four and?" I say I look at the girl whose brown eyes are the same colour of Shayne's skin. She smiles, "I'm Shauna. So in a few hours you will be finding out whether or not you have passed. How are you feeling?" She asks me. 

"Pretty confident." I reply. "I need a word with Four it was nice meeting you Shauna." I say. I take Four down a hallway which is cold and the musky air fills my lungs. I lean my body against the wall. "I thought you were going out with Tris, you two seem pretty comfy together." I say. His face turns to shock then he smiles. "Shauna is my friend. We went through initiation together along with her boyfriend Zeke. I taught her to fight. If it wasn't for me she wouldn't have gotten past the first stage." He says. Relief and embarrassment follow his words. I have seen the damage affairs can do to people, I won't stand for it. I look to his boots which shine in the blue light. "Sorry." I say. 

"If it makes you feel any better you did really good today. Real good. I haven't seen someone as good as you since Tris and she came first overall." He says with a cheery voice. But he purses up his lips. "Do you know anything about that Connor the Erudite transfer? He did really good as well just as good as what you did." Four asks quietly leaving me with the dilemma. Either reveal everything I know and risk him being killed and giving Tobias a heart attack about Connor and I being an item or deny any acknowledgement of him. 

"I don't, no. He's my friend along with Shayne and Olivia but I don't really know much about him, I guess coming from Erudite he is always level-headed in all types of scenarios." I lie. Tobias nods his head and scratches his temple. "I guess so." He says. He checks his watch. "I need to get going I need to talk after the rankings are revealed meet me then." He before giving me a brief hug. He walks down the hallway and once again I am alone. But this I time I am sick with myself again. I have lied again. But what does Tobias want to talk to me about?