The Initiate.

Chapter 4

I walked back to Abnegation,  weighing out my options. Tris told me to pick Amity. I suppose that is where I am going. I mean I should fit in, I got that faction on my result. Along with Dauntless and Candor. 

I got home luckily Marcus wasn't back yet, I went straight to my room and grabbed hold of a  red glass bead that's attached to a silver chain. Abnegation rules say that, jewellery is impractical and used to draw attention to oneself, therefore considered self indulgent.  My mother got it me before she abandoned me. When Marcus saw me wear it, I got a lash across my left cheek for my little defiance. Speaking of defiances I'm living one now. My defiance of fitting in to one faction, one defiance that could kill me. Now I'm the biggest threat to people since the plague. 

I sat down on my bed. And looked around.  My room is similar to the rest of the rooms here, grey walls, no mirrors, just a bed and drawers. The more I looked around my room,  the more I cried.  I can't even fit into a faction,  what is wrong with me? Dauntless and Amity are two opposite factions.  I eventually cried myself to sleep hoping I'll wake up and this, today all of my life will be a horrid nightmare. 

"Sonia! Sonia! Get up!" Shouted a male voice. I ripped open the tired stiches of my eyes. Marcus was in. I wondered how long I was asleep, however turns out all of this isn't just a nightmare, it's something I have to call life. I quickly got dressed and had a wash and brushed my teeth. I walked back into my room and quickly put on another set of Abnegation grey robes. As I walked to the kitchen I re tied my hair into a bun.

The kitchen was the usual sight of Marcus cooking.

"Where are you going?" Asked Marcus lowering his eyebrows.  Marcus was tall and stocky with pale blue eyes and dark hair. "You not having any breakfast?"

"No, after today I don't want anything to do with you or anything of you. Amd I certainly don't want you at the choosing ceremony today." I say proud of my defiance. I walked out of the house slammimg the door behind me. On the way to the bus I think about my Divergence and my options. Amity, Tris says that I'll be likely to conceal my Divergence there but it would annoy me having to all smiley smiley all the time. Candor, I've never really liked the faction and I'm not honest enough. Dauntless, I'll love it there, the adrenaline, the ziplining, being able to look in a mirror. But am I brave enough? Will they find out about my Divergence? No matter which faction I choose I don't need to see Marcus again. That alone makes me happy.

I get on a bus that will take me to the Hub,  where the choosing ceremony shall begin.  The bus is crowded as per usual, mainly with Abnegation and a few Candor. Through out the journey all I did was either look out of the bus or run my hand through my dark brown hair like I usually do when I am nervous. I don't know which faction I'm going to pick, most people decided after the aptitude test. But im not like most people, they probably didn't get three factions like me.

When we arrived at the Hub the crowd was beginning to build up. Everybody to themselves Abnegation quietly was walking towards the entrance of the building, Erudite were sat reading textbooks,  Amity were hugging each other and laughing, the Candor that arrived were debating again and Dauntless haven't even arrived. They're always late. 

Once I got off the bus I looked up the black glass of the Hub trying to catch the sight of the two silver antennas on the roof top. I've done this ever since I was 5 and upon Tobias's shoulders God that seems like a million years ago and every time I do I get the feeling I'm about to fall over.

"What am I going to do? Chose the life I'm so drawn to and risked being found out or chose the one thing I struggle at, being kind but remove the threat of being found out about being Divergent?" I ask myself.  "Looks like it's going to have to be Amity. If I want to survive." I sigh looking at a group of Dauntless jumping of a train, the life I could have had. Amity can't be that bad right? I mean I got it on my result so I assume there is some kindness inside of me. And I will get away from Marcus that's a victory in its self.