thirty.

Daniel watched as I scooped a few green beans into my mouth. "So what are we going to do for our project?" Daniel asked. "I don't know. You could come over today after school and we can get started." "Yeah, okay. What time does your practice end? I'm picking you up." "It ends at 5:30." "Great, I'll see you then." He grabbed his books and left the lunchroom. 

I spotted Jane down the hallway as I went to go change for practice. "Hey Jane!" I said catching her attention. "Oh, hey y/n! How are you holding up since lunch?" she asked. "I'm guessing Daniel told you about that." She nodded. "He made me eat lunch and he watched me. He was being dramatic about it. I would've been fine if I-" "Y/n, I'm stopping you right there. He cares about you, that's why he was acting the way he was. You wouldn't have been fine, you would've collapsed in the stunt. Stop thinking he doesn't care or that he's doing too much because some people wish that they had the love you two share." I noticed her eyes were glossed over. She avoided eye contact with me. "I just lost the person who meant the most to me, that's all." I looked down at my shoes. I felt really bad for her. No one deserved that, especially not Jane. "If you don't mind me asking, who?" I asked. "Johnny Lawrence. Most people don't like him- which I can understand- but he's a real softy. Our relationship was perfect, until he met Ali. We got into an argument about him always leaving me and not spending time with me, then I found out he was cheating on me with Ali." My eyes grew wide. "I had no idea, Jane. I'm so sorry." I hugged her. We continued walking. Once we reached the locker room, Ali handed us our practice wear which consisted of green shorts, sweatpants, a grey hoodie, and a grey shirt. She explained that we had different practice wear for the weather. We would wear the hoodie and sweatpants when its colder and the shirt and shorts when it's warmer. I slipped on the green shorts and shirt. I tied my hair back and walked towards the field. "Congrats to all the ladies who made it," Ali said smiling "don't get too comfortable because your spot could be taken away." She glared at me. "Anyways, line up! Y/n, Jane, Hannah, and Hailey are the first stunt group. Y/n is the flyer and Hailey is the back spot, Hannah and Jane you know your positions. The rest of the girls get into your stunt groups." I didn't feel as nervous as before, Daniel helped relieve that stress. "The routine we're doing will be the same one from tryouts but with music. We have a game coming up in two weeks and we need to be our best. When the music starts, begin the routine. If a stunt falls or a girl fails, everyone will run a lap around the football field until we get it right. Understood?" she explained. The girls shook their heads. Suddenly the music started. I had memorized my routine from tryouts but I was scared I would forget or mess up. I started off with the basic hand and body movements. I did my back handspring and walked back into my stunt group. They hoisted me into the air. I was thrown into the air, twisting my body. I was caught into a basket. I continued the routine with no problems. When the music stopped, I felt great. We were great. 

I watched as Daniel pulled up beside me in his yellow Ford. I got into the car and took  deep breath. "What's wrong? Did something happen? I'll beat someone up I-" Daniel started. I looked him in the eyes. "Did you know Johnny Lawrence and Jane dated?" His eyes grew wide. "What?" "Yeah, she was telling me how they dated for two years until she found out he was cheating on her with Ali. That's why she cares so much about our relationship. She lost someone she cared about." We sat in silence. "I had no idea. " "Yeah," I said. He started the car and looked at me blankly. "She's okay though, right?" "yeah, I just made her bring it up because of something I said." He nodded and began to drive. "Well, how was practice?" he asked. "It was great. I landed everything and Jane is in my stunt group. Our first game is in two weeks so I'll probably have practice everyday. If not, every other day. Ali's really hard on us. She told us if we fell in our stunt or fell during tumbling, we would have to run a lap around the football field." His eyebrows knitted together. "Jeez, that  is harsh." He kissed my forehead. "You still up to do the project? I know how tiring practice can be and if you want we can do the project tomorrow-" I shook my head. "I'm fine, really. I'm not tired at all. We can still do the project." "Okay, great." I thought back to what Jane had said earlier. "You really care about me, don't you?" I asked him. "Of course I do. You mean everything to me."