thirty nine.

The smell of coffee engulfed the bedroom. I cracked open my eyes to see Daniel sitting on the corner of my bed with a cup of coffee in his hand. He laid down beside me. "Good morning, slugger. You slept through the night." He ran his fingers through my hair. "Do you feel any better?" he asked. I nodded. I had felt a lot better since the previous night. "I think I had food poisoning" I said. "Yeah, me too. I was gonna talk to you about something." I sat up. "What is it?" "Well, I have two things to tell you. One is that it Thanksgiving is in a week and second is ma wants to have you over for Thanksgiving dinner." I smiled. "I'll be sure to make it. Is there anything I need to make or bring?" "No, I don't think. I'll ask just in case." He kissed my temple.

I had finally forced myself to get out of bed and get dressed. School started back tomorrow, so I had to force myself to get back on schedule. I opened my window and felt the air. It was a warm November day which wasn't usually likely for California. "Babe, It's a nice day to go the beach" Daniel suggested. "Exactly what I was thinking." I started to change into my bathing suit top when I heard Daniel walk in. My shirt was about halfway off so I didn't know what to do. "Damn," Daniel said looking me up and down "I'm one lucky guy." I punched his arm. "I hate you," I laughed. "I love you too," he sarcastically said. 

Once we reached the sand of the beach, I ran leaving Daniel behind. "Hey, that's not fair!" he said running after me. He grabbed my waist and tackled me down onto the sand. He had landed on top of me. "You know, you look good from this angle y/n." I rolled my eyes. "Shut up and kiss me." Daniel laughed. He leaned in, pressing our lips together. He stood up and ran into the water. I stood up and ran after him. Daniel led me in the water. "Daniel, guess what?" I said. "What?" he said swimming towards me. I splashed him. "Oh, I'm getting you back for that." I was hoisted up on Daniel's shoulders. "Daniel!" I squealed. 

About an hour into swimming we got tired. "Wanna go for a walk on the pier?" he asked. "Yeah," I said sitting up. Daniel grabbed my hand and began to swing them back and forth. Daniel and I stopped at a spot on the pier to look at the view. The water was glistening in the sun and the sky mirrored a perfect sunset. "This is really beautiful," I said leaning my head on Daniel's shoulder. "Yeah, it is." I took a deep breath, smelling the salty air. "Can you help me find my mommy?" I heard a voice say. I turned around and saw a girl. She looked to be about five. I crouched down to meet her height. "Are you lost?" I asked. She nodded. Daniel scooped her up into his arms. "Let's go find your mommy. You'll be okay, don't cry" he said. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he rubbed her back. I walked over to a police officer who was patrolling the pier. "This little girl lost her mom," I explained to him. "There's a lady in our office who lost her daughter, I think it's her mom." I nodded and followed him to a office at the end on the pier. I walked into the tiny office to see a blonde haired lady who was crying in her hands. I couldn't imagine her stress. "Ma'am, is this your daughter?" the officer asked her. She looked up and ran towards the girl. "Oh my god, Frances!" she said hugging the girl. "I thought I lost you, I was so worried." She turned towards me and Daniel. "Thank you so much." I nodded and waved to Frances. 

As we walked back to Reseda, I though about how well Daniel handled Frances. He has a way with kids, they just love him. "Daniel, you're going to be an amazing dad to our kids. They're going to love you," I said. He smiled. "You think so?" he asked. "I know so." He wrapped his arm around me. "I'm going to marry you someday, y/n. I promise." I bit my lip to stop myself from crying.  "And I'll say yes, Daniel. I promise."