e l e v e n

( outfit for
chapter above )

◑ ━━━ 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔞𝔲𝔱𝔶 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔡𝔞𝔪𝔫𝔢𝔡 ━━━ ◐

chapter eleven
immortality.

Unsurprisingly, Charlie Swan was livid once Bella returned home. Edward had thought it would be best if he dropped her off by himself — taking the blame for the Chief's daughter's disappearance. But it didn't stop Liza and Henry from watching from the tree line as Edward got brutally screamed at by his ex-girlfriend's father.

Liza was impressed that Bella managed to sleep during most of it, only waking up at the end to tell Charlie she was fine. He threatened Edward's life once more before slamming the door and locking it behind him.

"Ouch," Liza muttered as Edward got into his car and drove towards his house. "That had to sting."

Henry hummed as he leaned against a tree, watching Bella's bedroom light shut off. "How's your nose?"

Liza touched her nose once, remembering the pain that she dealt with as Edward pushed her nose back into the socket while they were waiting in Volterra. "Doctorates degree, my ass," Liza grumbled. Her nose was yellowed with bruises that would disappear within the next few hours — but the memory of the pain would remain in the back of her mind.

"He's your mate," Henry joked, making Liza freeze. The youngest sibling sighed deeply as he faced his sister. "Let's talk about it."

"You wanna talk about how your mates' ex-boyfriend is my mate, who's also a vampire, clearly still in love with your mate enough to bring himself to try and get himself killed when he thought she was dead?" Liza asked sarcastically before shaking her head. "I'm good."

Henry shrugged his shoulders. "I think you're overthinking it. Just be friends with him, and go from there."

Liza continued to remain quiet as she stared at the silent white house in front of them.

"What else are you worried about?" Henry asked, whispering into the night.

"I'm a protector," Liza muttered back. "I'm supposed to protect my mate. What is my purpose if my mate doesn't need protection?"

"First of all, Forks is the most dangerous town in the US," Henry joked, making her chuckle. "Second of all, maybe you're meant to be with him so you can learn to be protected for once."

Liza frowned at Henry's words. "What do you mean by that?"

"You're always the one to stick their neck out for anybody and protect them, without a second thought. You don't allow yourself to be weak, to be vulnerable. It seems like to me, your mate being a vampire, is going to teach you exactly that," Henry explained, allowing his words to sink into Liza's brain.