Detention

After our first day of classes, we all went to McGonagalls classroom as instructed. When I arrived Draco and Pansy were already there and Blaise arrived shortly after me. It took a a moment to notice Wayne sat in the corner - a hufflepuff who apparently skipped some detentions last term. He shrunk into the corner and seemed so at home he could've been part of the decor. I went to sit down next to Pansy when McGonnagall spoke up.

"Spread yourselves out." She looked pointedly at me, I let go of the chair I was pulling out and went to an empty desk near the front and sat down. Once everyone was here she flipped an hourglass and sat down, pulling out homework to mark. I glanced around the room and saw Draco staring at the hourglass, as if wishing for it to disappear with his mind. I couldn't help but to smile. It's weird - I liked even just having Draco in the same room as me even if we weren't speaking or even looking at each other. I faced the front again.

When approximately a third of the hourglass had passed McGonnagall stood and went into the closet in the classroom, presumably to get something. I didn't think much of it until I felt something hit my shoulder. I turned and saw a paper bird next to my foot. I looked up to see Draco watching me with anticipation, showing me a second bird that he had made. I had no idea where he had gotten the paper, but it appeared he had taken up origami to pass the time. I picked up the bird and looked at it, noticing writing poking out from one of the folds. I unfolded it.

"This is a drag, I'm starting to think this woman feeds off our misery. She almost caught me making origami under my desk and I just had to pretend I find staring at my lap very interesting and not at all suspicious. I wonder what that Wayne guy did - she made it sound like he has more detentions than us. Please find a way to reply otherwise I might just die of boredom.

-DM"

I finished reading the note as McGonnagall came back out of the cupboard, holding a fresh pot of ink in her hand and a stack of papers. I quickly slipped the note under the table. I tried figuring out how to make the paper bird again based on Dracos folds - but gave up after a few minutes. I wondered how else I could respond. I wrote a note.

"If you want to know what that Wayne guy did you should be passing notes to him and not me. Also show me how to do the bird thing. Throw this to Wayne when ur done.

- Elena"

I scrunched my note up into a paper ball - much less elegant than the origami and while McGonagall was looking down at her papers held it up for Draco to see. He looked between me and McGonagall for a second. He mouthed "Chuck it" and while making a small throwing motion with one arm.

"She would notice!" I mouthed back, quickly averting my gaze to the floor as McGonagall looked up. After a few seconds me and Draco made eye contact again. He thought for a second before motioning for me to look away which I did.

"Hey Professor."

"Yes, Mr Malfoy? Is there a problem?"

"Yeah I think the hourglass is blocked." She furrowed her eyebrows at him, then stood and walked to the table with the hourglass on it and picked it up, her back now to us. I threw the balled up paper to him. He caught it and read it quickly, then threw it at Wayne who had been watching us. He slipped it under his desk as McGonagall turned around.

"There is nothing wrong with the hourglass Mr. Malfoy. Perhaps you will consider how slowly time passes here before you decide to throw any more parties." McGonnagall sat at her desk. Everything was still for the next ten minutes - I wasn't sure if Blaise was actually awake anymore as he leant against his hand. Pansy looked completely depressed.

I noticed a slight bit of movement out of the corner of my eye, Wayne had gotten the note back to Draco quietly. I saw Draco unfold it under his desk and read it. When he was done he looked up to see me looking at him. He looked between me and McGonagall - clearly turning all the wheels in his brain to figure out how to get it to me. Wayne had clearly had an easier time as he was directly behind Draco a few rows back, she was less likely to notice the movement.

He wrote three notes under the desk and scrunched them all into balls. He indicated to me to distract her. I looked at the hourglass - about 15 minutes left of detention. We could just wait to talk to each other. I looked at Pansy. No she was definitely going to kill herself within that time.

"Madame? Do you have any tissues?" I asked. She sighed and went back into the closet to get some. Draco stood up and threw all three notes to Blaise, Pansy and Myself. When the note landed next to Blaise and he didn't move Draco picked up his coat at threw it with a surprising amount of force at Blaise head. Blaise woke up with a shock and looked at the coat that now lay on the floor.

Draco silently but hurriedly pointed to the note to get Blaise to pick it up. Sleepily Blaise picked it up and threw the coat over the back of his chair groaning slightly. Pansy watched and was obviously holding back laughter at the whole interaction. McGonnagall came back out of the cupboard and put the tissues on her desk for me to pick up. As I sat back down in my seat I opened the note under my desk.

"Wayne says he got detention because he went into a painting for a whole week and ditched classes. I didn't even know we had paintings you could go into at school. You guys wanna check it out? (For less than a week of course)."

Under this Draco had included a step by step of how to make the origami bird - but it was difficult to figure out without seeing someone else doing it visually. I tried doing it for the rest of detention without any success. I got so caught up in trying I didn't even notice when the hourglass ran out.

"Okay, hour is up. All of you can go. Remember you all have detention on Thursday as well - Filch will be covering it in here." She announced. We all got up and left, most of us stretching after being sat around for too long.

"Oh my god, how much of that was I asleep?" Blaise yawned.

"So long, you're so lucky you didn't get caught. You where sat fully upright!" Draco laughed, nudging him.

"It's like I sat down feeling a bit bored and tired and suddenly your coat is hitting me in the head and most of the hourglass has gone!" He threw Dracos coat back at him forcefully. I looked around to talk to Wayne, but he was already halfway down the hallway seemingly eager to leave.

"Did that Wayne guy say anything else about these paintings?" I asked.

"Oh yeah - he went into one that went back to like the fifties in America. He lived like a muggle for around a month in his time but when he came back only a week had gone. Still got him in buttloads of trouble though."

"You want to live like a muggle?" Pansy scrunched up her face in a mixture of confusion and disgust.

"Of course not - but there are other paintings that do this we just have to find them. Perhaps we go back to meet Merlin." Draco replied.

"What about the time thing though?" I asked. As amazing as this sounded we were already in a lot of trouble.

"Alright so - I figured it out." Draco began. "If a month becomes a week, then we can stay for two full days and nights and it only be one day. We could go Saturday morning and be back in time for curfew. Unless...." he turned to face the three of us "you're all cowards?"

"Oh please, you are the biggest coward of us all Malfoy." Blaise replied.

"Is that a yes?"

"I don't see why not." Pansy said, gaining her energy back and grinning "only if we find a good painting - I don't want to be a muggle in WW2 or anything."

"Okay then," I agreed. "Let's find us a painting."

---------------------------------

Authors Notes:
I'm posting two chapters because I'm procrastinating an assignment due 30% of my final grade due tomorrow