Halloween Night Part 1

the girls where sat in their carriages, laughing to themselves sharing stories of the Gryffindors either they or someone they knew had come into contact with "no manners at all" one said, "a total laugh" another said "playful for sure" they concluded.

Being honest with myself I felt totally out of place. There where seven girls my age coming to hogwarts, unfortunately none where my friends. The best of the oldest year where allowed to come for free to compete, everyone else had to pay their way into the limited spaces.

My mother went to hogwarts, she was willing to pay a fair amount for me to spend a year there and have the experience she did. She moved down to southern france however when she was pregnant with me to avoid the horrors of the war. An irish family completely out of place.

I could see hogwarts through the windows of the carriage, it was already dusk and the towers where a deep shadow against the sky. It was much darker than the Beauxbatons castle, which was bright white marble.

"how's my hair" one of the girls asked "put your shoes on before we get scolded" and we all did shortly before madame came who gave us a nervous glance over before moving onto the next. First impressions are everything they tell us, our hair must me laid smoothly, our uniforms must be steamed, our stockings must have no tears. The landing was surprisingly bumpy, and we where all put into our organised places. "Charming" Madame instructed us. We could hear the chatter through the large doors to the dining hall, and i could feel my heart pounding in my head. They laughed obnoxiously, shouting across the room to other tables before shushing each other to silence. The girls where cleanly divided in two; the ones too excited to feel nervous, and the ones too nervous to be excited. I fell into the later half.

It must've been Dumbledores voice I heard "The lovely ladies of Beauxbatons" the doors opened with a slight creak as music filled the hall and we entered. We danced our way in, some of the older girls doing some performative magic to make butterflies dance through the hall. As we stood at the front an received applause i glanced at the lines of tables, exactly how my mother described them. Ravenclaw was on my far left, identifiable in blue. Next was Hufflepuff which was filled with friendly faces proudly wearing their yellow crest. Directly in front of me was Gryffindor, mischevious glints in their eyes and a surprising amount of redheads. To the far right was Slytherin in green who whispered among themselves as they clapped.

We were separated out and sat down to eat for the first night, about a dozen per table. I sat on Ravenclaw alongside a younger asian girl, possibly my age but it's hard to guess. "Hey, what's your name?"

"Cho, you?" She responded seeming friendly enough.

"Elena." I felt like I should've added something onto the end, but I honestly didn't know what to say. After a long pause where she glanced at the other hogwarts students sat near her she chipped up.

"I expected you to have an accent if I'm being honest"

"Oh, most of us do. My family isnt french though so I don't really when I'm not speaking French." I half shrugged, feeling like I had disappointed them. She nodded with a half smile and continued asking questions about the school, talking about all these rumours of us having walls half made of gold and unicorns surrounding the school. The walls did have a lot of gold linings and designs, that much was true. There had been very few unicorn sightings though. I didn't really know what to ask in return.

Eventually when the feast was over, we where escorted to our rooms. I was in a room with the other girls in my year, who gossiped about the boys they thought where cute in the houses they sat at.

"This Gryffindor boy was a real tease, anytime I asked to be passed something he would say he would have it for himself!" Cassie laughed as all the girls ushered her to keep talking.