Prologue

"Ani!" I screamed, straining against the two hands that were holding me. "No!"

"Cassy!" My brother called back, his voice weak and laced with pain. He was dragged across the street and I stayed, screaming and attempting to pull away from the person who held me, until my brother's figure had long since left my view.

My body sagged with exhaustion from running, screaming, fighting. Everything hurt, but no pain that I felt in my body could be compared to the pain in my heart from seeing my brother take my beating and get dragged off by that blasted man. If I hadn't have stolen that bread he would be here, wrapping his arms around me, and singing me to sleep.

The pair of arms that had been restraining me gently picked me up, carrying me as though I weighed nothing. I didn't fight it. I had lost all will to fight anything.

I laid my head against the boy's chest, breathing in the smell of peppermint and old books.

It wasn't a long walk before we reached a large building. He opened the door and walked inside. I barely registered the numerous boys that we passed. A minute later, he set me down on a bed, passing me a blanket. I hugged it to my chest.

"Is Albert," he whispered, taking a seat beside me. "I know it's seems like yous lost ya brudda but Jack'll get him back. Don't worry." I didn't reply.

The door was thrown open and three boys spilled into the room.

"Who is she?"

"What's she doin' ere?"

"Why's she crying?"

"Where'd ya find 'er, Albert?"

"Her brudda was taken to the Refuge." All the boys grew silent, their eyes watching me closely.

"Is Elmer," one of the boys who had messy black hair and dirt-stained cheeks said.

"Tommy Boy," the youngest of the three introduced.

"Specs," the last one said. A soft giggle erupted from my lips. 

"That's a funny name." The boy smiled at me.

"I'm Cassandra," I said, my voice weak from screaming.

"Is she gonna stay?" Elmer asked Albert.

"If shes wants. Jacks out dere looking for 'er bruther." I glanced down at my hands, which were folded in my lap.

"Uh, so do ya wanna stay, Cassandra?" Albert asked, sensing my mood change.

"I guess," I shrugged. "Do ya think the guy, what'id ya call him, Jack? Do ya think he'll get my brother?"

"I don't know," Albert replied. I was glad that he didn't lie to me, even though it did make me feel like all hope was lost. "But Is do know that 'e won't give up. Jack hates da Refuge as much as anyone. He was in dere once. Neva told any of us why but we all knows not ta ask."

"I'spose I'll 'afta trust him then. So are ya all Newsies?" The four boys nodded. "Fancy having an extra crew memba?" They all exchanged a look.

"Yous wanna be a Newsie?" Jojo asked.

"Course. Is gotta do something while Jack gets my brudda outta the Refuge."

"Do ya think she can?" Elmer whispered to Specs.

"Why'd ya say that Elmer?" Albert asked. A faint blush spread across his cheeks as he was called out.

"Dere ain't no goil Newsies. I don't doubt 'er, Is just wonda what da others will say. No offence Cassandra." I shook my head, showing that none was taken. It wasn't Elmer's fault that most boys wouldn't take too well to a girl taking their jobs.

"Whateva theys say, we'll be dere to protect 'er," Albert replied. "Is think she'd make a great Newsie." He gently ruffled my hair, and a small smile found its way to my lips.

"Shouldn't we talks ta Jack first?"

"Talk to me about what?" Another boy asked as he stepped into the room. I nearly launched myself out of the bed to see if my brother was with him, but Albert caught me before I got very far. I couldn't help the hopeless feeling I got when the new boy shook his head.

"Don't worry, wes not giving up yet."

"Cassandra here wants ta be a Newsie. Whatda ya say Jack?" Albert said.

"Yous sure, Cass?" I nodded my head, making sure that none of the doubt I felt in my chest showed on my face. I needed something to take my mind off my brother.

"I don't see why not." Elmer, Jojo, and Specs all let out cheers which made me smile.

"Newbie Newsies always get a nickname," Albert said, smiling at me.

"So why don't ya 'ave one?" I asked. Albert opened his mouth to respond but Specs beat him to it.

"Albert ain't worthy of a nickname." I let out a lighthearted laugh at the glare on Albert's face.

"At least I'm not stuck with a name like Specs," the boy replied.

"Blonde, cause of 'er hair," Elmer suggested.

"Okay, no suggestions from Elmer," Albert stated. "What kinda name is Blonde?"

"What's wrong with it?" Elmer asked defensively.

"It sucks Elmer," Jojo commented. "What about Shorty?"

"Is not dat short!" I protested.

"You kinda are," Specs joked. "But there's all ready a Smalls."

"Caz." Albert grinned at his suggestion.

"I like it," Jack said.

"Me too," Jojo added.

"Then it's decided. Welcome to the Newsies, Caz."

"Thanks, I guess," I smiled.

"You should come meet the others," Elmer said. The boys all left the room, leaving Albert and I sitting on the bed.

"You good?" He asked.

"I will be. When I get my brother back." He nodded.

"You two coming?" Jojo asked, peeking his head back in. I stood up and forced a smile. Jack would get my brother out of the Refuge and then we could be Newsies together. It would only be a matter of waiting.

But whatever happened, I would be getting my brother back whether I had to tear this city apart brick by brick.

"Come on Shortstuff," Albert said pushing me toward the door.

"It's Caz now," I grinned up at him.

"Nah, to me, you'll always be Shortstuff."