Chapter 14

Cassandra's P.O.V

"Please Jack," I begged. "I'm feeling a lot better. And you heard Specs, he said there wasn't any serious damage."

"Yeah, Is heard him alright. Are ya sure ya feelin' better?" I gave a quick nod. "Race, what do you think?" My brother had been unusually quiet ever since I woke up. I needed to get him alone, but so far there hadn't been a moment when it was just the two of us. It wasn't that he was avoiding conversation, I just didn't have any luck.

"If yous sure you'll be alright." Jack was quiet for another moment, before sighing.

"Fine, but don't overwork yourself. The moment you feel tired or anything, one of the boys'll take ya back."

"Thanks Jack," I said, smiling at him. "Would you mind if I had a moment with my brother?" He raised an eyebrow, shooting a glance at Race, but turned to the door and walked out.

"Something on your mind, Caz?" 

"I was about to ask you the same thing. You been awfully quiet ever since I woke up, what's wrong?" He sighed before settling on the edge of my bed.

"I was a jerk." I waited for him to continue, but he remained silent.

"Because...?"

"I was panicked when I saw you lying there, covered in cuts and bruises, passed out like you'd never wake. And he, he was so calm. I had no clue how he held together like that. So I freaked out, said some awful things to him, brought up his sister-"

"Wait, you're talking about Alby?" He gave a shameful nod.

"I should have kept my mouth closed, but I couldn't. I don't know what came over me. Said he wouldn't have cared if you died. Boy did he show me how wrong I was." I looked at him questioningly, but he ignored it.

"Well did you apologize?"

"Yeah, I just still don't feel right about it. You should 'ave seen the look on his face when I mentioned Ida."

"So you know? About her, I mean?"

"Yeah, he told me a few years back."

"I don't really know how to help you Race. All I can think to say is if you apologized and he forgave you, ya just need to move on. It won't help anything if you're dwelling on it." 

"I know," he sighed. "So ah, how's Crutchie?"

"Not so good. But he'll get better, once we get him out of there."

"How'd you plan on doing that?"

"Jack's drawings."

"You think it'll work?"

"It better."

"Well, yous should probably get some rest before the rally."

"All I've been doing lately is resting!" I complained, throwing my hands up in the air with a sigh. 

"Cass, you just escaped the Refuge after getting beaten until you passed out. Go ta sleep." He ruffled my hair before pushing me into the pillow and exiting the room.

"Welcome, Newsies of New York City, to my theater and to your revolution!" Shouting, cheering, even some screaming, broke out through the whole theater.

"And let's hear it for Spot Conlon and Brooklyn!" Davey yelled above the noise. 

"Newsies united!" Spot called. After a moment of noise, Spot silenced everyone with a wave of his arms. I rolled my eyes. "Let's see what Pulitzer's got to say to you now."