Chapter 29 - Mingling and Missions

You, Loki, and Natasha descend the elevator. Stepping out into the main hall, you're surprised to see all of the Avengers have assembled, in full uniform, to welcome Loki into the mix. 

Loki scoffs upon seeing the display.

"My, my. What patriotic company we have here," Loki says, setting down the massive pile of books, save for one that he keeps in his clutches, on a small table in the hallway. "Don't tell me you got all dressed up just for me?" 

Loki sneers as Captain America, Iron Man, and Bruce all stand in formation only a few paces away from the open elevator doors. For a moment, no one speaks. You can't see Tony's face behind his mask, but you can see the anxiety on Bruce's, and the hesitance on Steve's. He flashes you a questioning, blue-eyed glance as Natasha crosses the hall and steps to his side. You return it with a shrug. 

Finally, it's Loki who breaks the silence. 

"Although I am hurt that not everyone assembled, as it were, to greet me," he croons lazily. "I am a god, after all. Where is your archer?"

"Not here at the moment," Natasha says simply. "We thought it'd be better to let him find out later."

"Wise," Loki smirks in a parody of compliment. 

"Watch yourself, Reindeer Games," Tony says through his suit, his metallic voice echoing off the marble floors. "You're skating on awfully thin ice. In fact, I'd rather have you still locked up. So it'd be in your best interest to behave while you're out and about."

Loki regards your friends in cool apathy, never batting an eye. 

"I assure you," responds Loki. "I have only the noblest of intentions."

Tony's mask retracts, revealing his face. Having clearly solved the issue with his thrusters, the suit powers up, and in a blink he advances on Loki, grabbing him by the collar. 

"You'll be watched. No false moves," he threatens.

Holding up his hands in surrender, Tony lets him go and powers down, landing and giving Loki a rough shove backwards.

"Rogers, take the man to his quarters."

Stepping forward, Steve holds out his arms, gesturing down the hallway opposite your quarters. "This way," he says, keeping a watchful eye on Loki's every move. 

"What a gentleman," Loki sneers. Nevertheless, he proceeds to follow Steve down the hall and around the corner, out of site. Your stomach in a knot, you can't help but feel like you may have made a terrible, terrible mistake. 

"So, Squirt. Still think this was a good idea?"

"We'll see Tony, we'll see," you say, shaking your head and picking up the stack of books Loki had set down. 

As the Avengers break, you make your way up to the library to put back the books you had pulled out all those weeks ago. There was no reason for them to clutter up the hall. 

As you pass through the massive mahogany rows, finding the empty spaces for each tome and returning them to their relative homes, you spot a small staircase in the back corner of the fourth floor of books. Cocking one eyebrow, you venture over after putting away the last book. You hadn't seen this staircase when you were here last with Thor.  It is small. Narrow. Dark and partially concealed by the shadows of the tall walls of books. 

You take each step slowly, one by one, your fingers trailing through the thick dust on the handrails. When you reach the top, you find a small office that looks as if it has remained untouched for many years. Covered in dust and darkness, only a single, small window offers any light. But in the corner is a neglected fireplace, a rug in front and a long, overstuffed loveseat. To the right, a forgotten desk cluttered in old papers and binders.