Chapter 10: A Kerfuffle with a Candy Cane

(Start of dream sequence (I know they're used a lot, but yeah... sorry...))

"Hey, Izuku?"

My childhood friend walked up to my younger self confidently, with his small group of the neighborhood kids tailing behind.

"Hey, Kacchan! Holy woah, your quirk is amazing! How did you do that?" I asked, looking completely bewildered by my friend's quirk.

"Here, let me show you!" He held out his hand, and small sparks started to fly off. As he continued to do it, the sparks grew bigger.

"That's amazing! When I get my quirk, I want it to be just as strong!" I yelled.

"Yeah, whatever. Whatever power you end up with, it'll never be as strong as me!" He boasted.

"Well, that doesn't matter. I'll still save people, with a smile on my face! We both will!" I said, and we both smiled.

The scene shifted. I was now a few weeks older, and I watched as my face slowly broke into tears. The doctor's unamused face looked back at my mother and I, telling me about my lack of a quirk.

"Sorry, kid. It isn't going to happen." He said with the most unamused voice ever.

"B-But both my husband and I have quirks! Isn't there something-?" My mother's called out with a worried expression, just not for the reasons you may think.

"Ma'am, you see..." He went on to explain the anomaly with the feet stuff, as I just sat there, motionless, with a look of utter despair, holding a bear with half-black, half-white fur.

"O-Oh... well, I think we should be going now..." My mother's voice was a bit deeper now, quivering slightly.

"That you should. Sorry, kid." He said again, before ushering us out of the door.

I remember the drive home being silent, the only noise being outside the car. When we arrived at our house, I trudged through the driveway and to the front door, where my mother shakily unlocked the door.

The image of myself as I slowly put down the half-black, half-white bear next to the others, who still maintained the same shape, only with minor coloration differences. I liked to pretend they all had different voices and personalities, and I played with them like we were in a school, or sometimes on a beach in my room.

"Izuku? C-Come here, please." My mother called from the other room. I slowly made my way to the living room, only for me to be pushed down on the ground.

A/N: Sorry, Mama Inko :(

"You had one purpose! And you messed everything up!" My mother yelled through gritted teeth.

"M-Mom? Wh-Why are you..." I was cut off by being thrown to the ground again.

"Why? Because you ruined your father's and my chance of a good life! You were supposed to become a hero! You were supposed to make our lives EASY!" She screamed, and I just sat there, crying, red marks on my arms from where I landed and parts of my body in pain.

"I-I can still be a hero, though! I just have to work hard, and-"

*SLAP*

I raised a hand to my cheek, which now stung really bad. I looked back up at my mom, as she stalked off to go vent in a different way. I simply cried.

End of Dream Sequence (Thank goodness)

My eyes shot open, and I frantically looked around. Everything in the room was the same. The small window had midday-early afternoon light seeping through it, which means I slept later than I wanted to. I looked down, seeing my bed, which was drenched in a pool of sweat.