Day 2 pt. 2

We made it to the theater and Ellie banged on the door. Jesse and I were resting on the door since we both had leg injuries.

"It's me." Ellie said causing Dina to open the door.
"Jesse?" Dina ignored Ellie and I, and was surprised to see him and pulled him into a hug.
I walked around them and leaned on the counter on the far side of the room.
Ellie followed me as she saw Dina was taking Jesse's shoes off.

"You okay?" I looked at Ellie.
"Pft. Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"
"Well because..." I then motioned to Jesse and Dina who looked beyond happy to see each other.
"Oh." Ellie started to rub her fingers, something she does when she's jealous or nervous.
"Come on." I tapped her shoulder as we walked back into the auditorium, this time going behind the curtain.

"This place is freaky." I said, looking at all the weird things just sitting there.
"Joel said that these things are called props. They had 'plays' which is just people on stage pretending to be other people."
"People found that fun?"
"Yeah."
"That's strange."
We saw a poster reading 'Curtis and Viper 3' and Ellie stopped.
"What is it?" I looked at her.
"These were the movies Joel and I watched."
"Ah, cheesy 80's action movies."
"Yeah... how did you know?" She looked at me with a small bit of joy that I knew that.
"Joel used to talk about them, back in Boston. He always said they were his favorites, he showed me one once. It was funny."
She chuckled softly.
"Yeah, they are funny."

We kept walking around and saw this room that had a bunch of first aid stuff.

I motioned to the seat that was there.
"Sit."
Ellie did as I told.
"Now, this is going to burn but-" I lifted her shirt, only exposing her back.
"What are you doing?" Ellie sounded nervous.
"Relax, I'm gonna fix you up."
"Oh."
"Did you think I was gonna-" I started talking in a playful tone.
"Shut up." Ellie cut me off, also sounding playful.
I chuckled, grabbing a piece of cloth from my bag that i poured alcohol on.
"You have a shit ton of cuts, this is going to burn a lot. Grab my hand."
I stuck my hand out next to her and she grabbed it tightly.
I started cleaning her cuts, feeling her grip get tighter as I kept cleaning.

After cleaning the cuts I grabbed a needle and thread from my bag. I stitched her up, feeling her body wince every time the needle went in her body.

"All done." I rubbed her cuts softly and pulled her shirt back down.
She turned around and looked into my eyes.
"Now that wasn't so bad, now was it?" I looked at her with a small smile.
She didn't respond but kept looking at my lips.
"You okay El?"
"Yeah." Her voice was low and soft.

We kept looking at each other, our foreheads touched and our noses grazed each other. Our lips were a few centimeters apart.

"You know we can't, Ellie." We couldn't because of Dina
"I know. But I really want to."
"Me too."

We could feel each other's breath but we both pulled away, walking out of the room and out of the auditorium. We went up to the radio room which is where we thought we would find Dina, and we did, but with Jesse. They were kissing. But it looked like Dina was the only one engaging. Jesse's eyes were open, he looked shocked.

"What the fuck?!" Ellie screamed, scaring Dina.
"Ellie!" They said in unison.
"What the fuck, Dina?!" Ellie's face was red with anger.
Jesse walked out of the room, quickly in silence. Ellie didn't pay attention to him, her gaze was stuck on Dina.
"I can explain!" Dina put her hands up, fumbling her words.
Ellie's hands began shaking.
I walked in front of her, making her look into my eyes. Her hands stopped shaking.
"I'm gonna go talk to Jesse, don't kill each other." I turned to look at Dina, but not with a dirty look, more of a confused one.

I touched Ellie's arm lightly, walking away to go find Jesse. I saw him leaning on the indoor balcony that overlooked the entrance. I walked up to him, leaning on the balcony right next to him.

"She kissed me, I didn't kiss her back." Jesse immediately got defensive.
"I know."
"Fuck, I fucked it all up."
"Fucked what up?"
"My friendship with Ellie."
"I wouldn't worry about that, she seemed only concerned about Dina."
"Burned that bridge too."
"With Dina? No. I mean you guys were broken up what, a month before today? You guys'll be fine, trust me."
He let out a deep breath.
"When did you leave Jackson?" I changed the subject because I felt him get uncomfortable.
"Day after you guys. Got caught up with a lot of snow in Oregon but I caught up- you're sure that Ellie's cool?"
"With you? Yeah. Just give her time."

We heard a door open and then slam.
"What was that?" Jesse and I turned.
"Probably Ellie, stay here." I told Jesse and he did.
As I walked to the radio room, I found Ellie walking away with her head down.
"Hey! Wait up." I jogged to her, ignoring the pain in my leg.
"Hey." Ellie didn't look at me.
"Come on." I grabbed her hand and walked her into the auditorium, sitting where we sat the day before.
She still didn't look at me, looking at her hands as she rubbed them together.
"What happened in there?" I put my finger under her chin, lifting softly so she would look at me.

(Flashback to her argument, in Ellie's POV)

I closed the door with my back, leaving my eyes on Dina.

"Ellie- I can- I can explain."
"No."
"Ellie please!"
Dina got up to my face and put her hands on my cheek.
"Stop." I pushed her hands away.
"It didn't mean anything, I just saw him and worried and remembered old times-"
"Dina stop."
"Why? Why should I stop?! I've seen how you are with that fucking lunatic Logan!"
"No! You don't get to bring him into this to save your ass!"
"I know you still love him! I've seen how you look at each other, Ellie, do you think i'm stupid?!"
"Yeah, well I haven't kissed him!"
"But you wanted to didn't you?"
"So?! Not like it matters to you anymore!"
"Well great then! You got Logan and I got Jesse!"
"Fine!"
"Fine!!"

I walked out and slammed the door, my hands shaking, almost bursting into tears.

(Back to the present, Logan's POV)

"Wow, she really hates me huh?" I chuckled softly, getting a small smile from Ellie.
"Yeah, guess she does."
"Hey, I know something that'll make you feel better." I let go of Ellie's hands walking to the stage where we left the guitar.
"Logan." She sounded scared when I let go.
"I'm right here."
I grabbed the guitar and walked back.

"I'm just a poor, wayfaring stranger." I sang, mimicking Joel's voice. Ellie caught on and giggled.
"Traveling through, this world below." I looked at her between lines, but then she started singing with me.
"There is no sickness, no toil nor danger. In that bright land, to which I go." We smiled at each other and I put the guitar down.
"You know, I think you do sing better than I do." I told her, leaning more towards her.
"Debatable." She smiled.
We looked at each other in silence, our foreheads touching again.

"I want to, Logan." She said to me, in a soft voice.
"I'm not gonna stop you this time." I licked my lips.

Our lips touched, for the first time in five years i felt this overwhelming sense of happiness. She moved and sat on my lap, immediately pressing her lips back on mine. We kissed for a few minutes but pulled away, not wanting to get carried away, just wanting it to be a nice, innocent moment.

"I've missed your lips, Ellie." I smiled.
"Me too." She smiled back, leaning her head under my head, on my neck. I pushed her hair behind her ear and kissed the top of her head.

"I'm so happy your back." She said to me, sounding tired.
"I am too. You tired, El?"
"Yeah."
I stretched my legs out on top of the seats in front of me, giving her more room to lay down and making me more comfortable.
"So let's go to sleep."
"Okay, babe."

She called me babe, warming up the spot that before, gave me a burning feeling.

We sat there, and drifted to sleep.