The Truth

ELLIE'S POV 1 year earlier

I had run back to the hospital at Salt Lake City. I needed to find answers. As I walked through I saw charts of my brain, but nothing saying that they stopped looking for a cure.
I found a tape recorder.
They said that the 'girl' was gone. That a man took her. She was the last hope for a cure, but she, was me. It also mentioned a boy that escaped from their custody, those two things that caused the fireflies to fall apart.

I sat outside the hospital, replaying the tape recorder, over and over.

Joel found me, I saw him coming on his horse so I stood up.

"Oh my god kiddo, don't ever run away like that-" He had pulled me into a hug but I pushed away.
"Tell me, what happened, here." I took breaths in between my words, trying to keep my composure.
"What do you mean? I already told you-"
"Lie to me one more time and I'm gone. You will never see me again. But if you tell me the truth, I'll come back."

There was a pause but Joel finally spoke up.

"Making a vaccine... would have killed you... so I stopped them..."

As I heard those words I started crying, I couldn't breathe. I was overwhelmed with sadness and rage.

"Kiddo-" Joel put his hand on my shoulder but I pushed him away.
"Don't you fucking touch me! I'll come back. But you and I, we're done."

I got back on the horse and rode back to Jackson, thinking about the recording, and the boy.

LOGAN'S POV present day

After Ellie helped clean me up I sat in the auditorium. I tried to play the guitar but I was shaking.

"Logan, here." I heard Ellie's soft voice as she gave me some water.
"Thanks." My voice was coarse.
I drank the water and tried to play the guitar again.

"Here, let's put this down for now." Ellie grabbed the guitar and put it on the ground, she sat on my lap.
I winced.
"Oh shit, sorry-"
"It's okay, El."
We were quiet. Ellie had her arms wrapped around my neck, and I had one arm around her stomach.
"Remember when we met?" Ellie started to talk, snapping me out of staring at the ground.
"Yeah."

9 years ago

I was at the 'playground' at school. I put quotations because it was more a 20 feet by 20 feet, concrete square with chalk on the ground. I always just kept to myself, I didn't have any friends.
That's when I saw Garett trying to talk to this girl. I saw she was trying to get away but couldn't.
I hated Garett so I walked up to the girl.

"Hey! I have to ask you something about the homework." I winked at her as I pulled her away. I walked her back to where I was before.
She looked at me confused as I leaned back on the wall.
"I'm sorry, do I know you?" The green eyed girl started to talk to me.
"No you don't."
"So why did you just grab me and walk me away?"
"Well, Garett's a fucking prick and I saw you try to get away, so I helped."
"Oh. Thanks. I'm Ellie, by the way."
"Hey Ellie by the way, I'm Logan."
Ellie laughed at my joke.
"How old are you?"
"Twelve. You?" I looked at her for the first time.
"Ten."
"Wow you're a baby."
"Shut up I'm only two years younger." She punched my arm.
"Whatever you say, Ellie by the way."
She giggled.
I finally had a friend.

PRESENT DAY

"That was the day I fell in love with you." Ellie said as she had her head on my chest.
"Sap." I said, chuckling softly.
"Oh fuck you."

We stayed quiet for a little.

"So when are we going to the aquarium?" I asked Ellie, making her look up at me.
"A little later, I want you to rest."
"Thanks, El."
"You're welcome babe."

I kissed the top of her head and we just sat there in silence for a little, enjoying each other's presence.

Jesse then walked in.

"Hey- Oh." He saw how we sat and was a little taken aback but continued speaking.
"When are you heading out?" He looked at me.
"Give me like fifteen minutes."
Jesse put a thumbs up and walked away.

The next fifteen minutes were amazing. We kissed, hugged, and just smiled with each other. If it wasn't for Ellie, I'd fall apart.

Then the fifteen minutes were up and we got up, and got ready.