𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘, nightmares (pt ii)

NIGHTMARES (PT II): REALITY
A c!Tommyinnit & Reader Oneshot

NIGHTMARES (PT II): REALITYA c!Tommyinnit & Reader Oneshot

SUMMARY: In which reality pays Tommy a visit

WARNING(S): Derealization, swearing, in game AU, gender-neutral!reader, platonic pairing, (1,220 words)

AUTHORS NOTE: Please don't read this if derealization is an issue for you as this fic includes it. This can also be read as a continuation to 'nightmare' but can also be a standalone

 This can also be read as a continuation to 'nightmare' but can also be a standalone

Tommy was lonely for a vast majority of his exile.

Sure he had Dream who came by and visited everyday, he never stayed for long. He'd come by after lunch, sporting his full set of netherite armor and weapons. Tommy once had netherite tools and armor as well but Dream had destroyed them all on his first day of exile, not that Tommy cared anymore anyways. He was completely fine with his iron set, even if he knew Dream would demand for them to be destroyed the following day. Tommy saw it as a bonding experience, he was the only person visiting him after all.

"You shouldn't keep letting him treat you like this." A voice said as he entered his small tent with his newly mined iron. He put the metal into his furnace to smelt so that he could craft it into armor and weapons before finally turning around to face them.

"What do you mean? Dream's my friend." Tommy said causing the person standing before him to cringe. "I never understood why you hated him, (Y/N). He's my friend, there's no need to be jealous."

He had met (Y/N) one night during a storm. Logstedshire was surely going to experience some damage afterwards with how hard the wind was blowing. Tommy was luring his cow back into his home when he saw a figure standing under a tree. Quickly dragging the cow back inside, he grabbed a spare coat and headed towards the stranger and offered them shelter for the night. They had accepted his offer and originally was going to leave the morning after when Dream decided to arrive much earlier than usual. Tommy doesn't understand why how he acted with Dream seemed to bother them so much but he didn't reject the idea of them wanting to stay in Logstedshire with him. Ever since then, (Y/N) was the only other person who Tommy would consider his friend.

(Y/N) scoffed at his statement. "You think Dream is your friend?"

Rolling his eyes, Tommy simply turned his back to them and returned his attention to his smelted iron. He would have to craft his armor and tools quickly if he wanted them to be ready by the time Dream arrived the next morning.

"Are you fucking kidding me Tommy?!" They suddenly shouted causing him to flinch. "He's not being your friend. He destroys all your stuff only to make you work for it all over again. What kind of friend does the kind of things he does to you!"

Tommy took a deep breath, not wanting to argue with them at the moment. He doesn't have enough time for that right now.

They weren't completely wrong. Dream did do that and while it was frustrating, he didn't destroy everything. He never seemed to notice the leather bracelet (Y/N) had gifted him one night. He had never taken it off ever since they put it on for him and he never planned to.

"What happened to hating him? What happened to the Tommy that fought wars against him and hated him? Why are you letting him do this? What happened to the old Tommy I knew." (Y/N)'s voice had now softened, sounding as though they were choking back a sob as they held him by the shoulders and forced him to look at them. The action caused Tommy to drop the smelted iron onto the ground, making it now completely useless for crafting.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?!" He snapped, moving away from their soft touch.

"Tommy I didn't mean to-"

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DREAM? HE WAS MY FRIEND BEFORE YOU EVEN CAME HERE AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ME BEFORE I WAS EXILED. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT THE OLD ME WAS?"

(Y/N) had now fallen quiet with a blank expression on their face. Tommy didn't know if they were going to fight back or remain silent as he regained his breath and tried to calm down.

"You used to hate him." They said and Tommy found it hard to refrain from shouting again. "When'd you start liking him."

Shit. "WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ME?"

"Tommy?" He heard a familiar voice. Whipping his head around he was surprised to see the masked man he was just previously talking about.

"Dream? I- what are you doing here?"

It was nearly midnight and Dream never visited him at this time. He always left just as the sun started to set, never failing to be completely gone by the time darkness had covered the sky and littered it with stars.

"Who were you talking to?" Dream asked, ignoring his question.

"My friend, (Y/N)." Tommy mumbled under his breath. His back was facing them as he hung his head low, unsure of how the green man would react to him having a friend here with him.

"Tommy there's no one there." Dream said, causing Tommy to look up at him with furrowed brows.

"What do you mean there's no one there, they're right here-" Tommy had cut himself off when he had turned around and saw that no one was standing behind him.

"Are you alright Tommy?" Dream asked but received no response from the boy.

Tommy left the tent, searching around and nearby for any sign of his friend with Dream trailing close behind.

"Tommy-"

"They were right behind me, where would have they gone?"

"Tommy-"

"I didn't mean to yell at them. They were just distracting me from working and I needed to have it done before you came in the morning."

"Tommy-"

"Where could they have even gone? I can barely see what's in front of me right now-

"TOMMY!" Dream shouted, causing Tommy to jump and almost drop the lantern he was holding. Thankfully, he caught both the lantern and his balance before looking at the masked man. Even with the mask covering his face, Tommy could still see the impatience in his eyes. "Look I don't know what kind of prank you're pulling but there's nowhere here. There never has been anyone but me here and there never will."

"I'm not lying Dream, my friend (Y/N) was here, they've been here!" He said, persistent on proving that this wasn't a prank. "Look, here's the bracelet they made me a while ago..." Tommy's words trailed off as he lifted his wrist to show the leather band only to find it gone.

"That's impossible." He mumbled under his breath, eyes still fixed on his bare wrist as Dream grabbed him by the arm and began to drag him back to his tent. He didn't even notice that he was back inside until Dream made him sit on his bed before saying that he'll visit the next day instead.

"No, that's impossible. They were real, they've been here all this time."

Had it all been a hallucination? A fragment of his imagination? Surely that wasn't possible, it couldn't be. Why would his mind play such a cruel joke on him. And if (Y/N) really was just someone his mind had created, why did they hate Dream so much? Tommy didn't hate Dream, he's the only person who cares about him....right?

What happened to the old Tommy I knew?

....I don't know.