Chapter 30 - Don't Lie To Me

"When do we leave?" You ask Tony.

"No," a quiet voice says from nearby.

"Tomorrow morning. A jet will take the three of you to Berlin where you'll meet Fury's contact once you're on the ground."

"No," says the voice, slightly stronger.

"We don't know exactly what we're dealing with here, Squirt. So Steve, I want you running lead on this until we -."

"NO!" roars Loki, interrupting the group.

All four of you - Tony, Steve, Natasha, and yourself - stare at Loki in shock. Despite his angry outburst, he wears a cool, calm and collected mask. But a small vein bulges in his neck, giving away his anger. "Don't you know what those humans have done to her?" Loki seethes, gesturing at you. "She's NOT to get involved in this fool's errand!"

"Loki," you say quietly.

"You -," Loki sneers, turning to Tony. "How dare you ask her to put herself back in a situation like this," he spits, advancing on Tony.

Tony holds up his hand, and the Mark VIII glove flies from the kitchen counter onto his arm. It powers up as Tony holds it out toward Loki's chest.

"Please give me a reason," Tony challenges.

"ENOUGH!" you yell, both men turning to look at you. "Loki, I appreciate your concern, but I know what I'm getting into," you say.

"Do you?" he asks, his lip curling.

"Yes," you reply resolutely. "And besides, it's my choice."

"Fine. Then I'm going as well," Loki says, crossing his arms.

"Not a chance," Tony shoots back. "You're on house arrest."

"You dare?" Loki seethes, clenching his fists. 

"I've been daring since the seventies. Try me," Tony challenges.

"You could not keep me from leaving here if I wished," Loki scoffs. "Your control over me is an illusion, Stark. Don't be fooled."

"Oh yeah, fuckface?" Tony croons, powering up his Iron Man glove once more. "Should we test out that theory of yours?"

"Guys, come on, this is ridiculous," you frown.

"Be a good sport, Squirt. I've always loved a good experiment. Hypothesis one," Tony smirks. "A blast to the chest would liquify the lungs. Let's test it."

Tony's glove powers up, the humming and buzz growing louder. For a brief moment Loki's gaze flits to the glove itself. But to his credit, he doesn't flinch. Rather, he draws himself up even straighter, taking a step forward until his chest is pressed against Tony's palm. Tony's lip twitches up into a snarl.

"Tony, calm down," Steve says, placing a gentle hand on the brunette's shoulder. "And you," Steve says to Loki as he gently pulls Tony away. "You're staying here. Those are the terms."

"Foolish terms for foolish heroes," Loki says mockingly. "And what of her?" he spits, glaring at you. "You would subject her to this? Why not send your darling archer?"

Tony, and the rest of the team for that matter, are now casting curious glances between you and Loki. 

"Clint's already gone," Natasha frowns. "He's liaising with SHIELD on this one. We need her. End of story."

"What's your play here anyway, Mischief?" Tony barks. "What's with all the sudden concern?"

Before you can respond, Loki does