06

for some reason, yumi was extremely nervous and jittery as she knocked on haechan's room door, her feet patting against the floor impatiently as she heard him rustling on the other side to get to the door.

"i swear jeno, she left for work ages ago! stop bothering me about her," haechan yelled and his mouth soon formed an o when he opened the door and saw yumi instead of jeno.

"so... jeno is looking for me?" she asked him and chuckled when he scowled, grabbing the drink in her hands.

"is this for me?" he asked as he sipped on the straw.

"what if it wasn't?" she raised an eyebrow and he shrugged.

"it is now."

as the pair walked back down the stairs to the living room, she sighed, "sorry for being a bitch when we first met, you aren't that bad you know."

haechan blinked, not expecting her to apologize, "you didn't do anything wrong."

"really? okay, i take the apology back," yumi said and chuckled when haechan turned to pout at her.

"hey that's not nice!" he exclaimed and she smiled at him endearingly, finding moments like this extremely precious when he wasn't putting on a tough front. 

yumi inched her way towards the door but haechan noticed and put an arm out to block her, "where are you going? aren't you going to stay and play?" 

"i gotta go... take care of somethings. i'll come over again another day," she explained, trying to be as vague as possible and ducked under his arms to head out. 

~

yumi hands shook as she knocked on the door to the large mansion. this was a place that she used to spend her childhood in. although she now hated it here, the place still held some nostalgia for her and at this moment she missed her mother even more.

her mother had died when she was a child from sickness, leaving her cheerful child with a cruel father that quickly remarried to a witch with an even witchier child.

yumi often reflected that she was quite like cinderella except she didn't have a handsome prince to sweep her away.

yumi's fake family had kicked her out of the household years ago and as a result, she spent a few years doing illegal things and getting her hands into dirty business before she settled into her tattoo shop. 

the only reason she was able to stay on her feet was the fund that her mother had handed all to her after her death. it seemed that her mother had known that her husband would remarry. 

the help around the house quickly bowed when they saw yumi step through the door. they were all good people who were loyal to the first wife and who had protested against yumi's removal from the house. 

one auntie even approached yumi with a hug tears in her eyes, "you've gotten so thin yumi," she cried and snuck a pack of biscuits into yumi's hands, "eat this before you go in to meet your family."

yumi stared down at the pack of biscuits, tears threatening to spill from her eyes, "i'll save it and eat it later, i promise," she managed to choke out, not even daring to look at her old auntie's eyes in case she would break down before she had even seen the bitches that took everything from her. 

"you called for me?" yumi asked as she walked into the family living, settling down on an antique victorian chair, staring at the three people in front of her. 

her father glared at her and used his cane to hit her directly on the back without a warning, "you don't deserve to sit in this house."

yumi stifled a cry of pain and stood up, rolling her eyes, "why am i here then?"

the step mother wouldn't look at her when she spoke, perhaps afraid of the gang-like demeanor and the many tattoos, "we will remove you from the family register. if anything happens to my husband here, i don't want you receiving any of the money."

the daughter chuckled, "you think you're all that shit with those tattoos. you aren't fooling anyone. you just look like a whore and a street rat. once your mother's money runs out, you're done for."

yumi's eye twitched, "so just because i'm a whore? i'm not the one who sleeps around with random boys here."

the father swung his cane around again but yumi ducked, "take me off. i don't care, you'll regret it one day i promise. i don't consider you a family anyways."

her stepmother sighed and helped her father up, "come on, let's go get you to rest, it seems like seeing your old daughter has taken a toll on you."

as soon as her father was out of the way, yumi sat down again and stared her step sister down, "so how does it feel to be a fake version of me? the world outside of this house knows that you are just a replacement for you. no one likes you. you may have the control and the money here, but i assure you, don't forget that i have the upperhand anywhere else."

"yeah well that guy you like? lee haechan? i'm his girlfriend and we fuck all the time. how does that feel?" 

yumi chuckled, "he doesn't fucking like you nayu. he was using you and i think he's done with you now."

nayu didn't play nice. she took her sharp fake nails and slashed them across yumi's face, blood running down. 

yumi stared at her in shock, "what the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"you're right. i DO have the upperhand in this house and i'm going to use it. you can't fight back right now, if there's one mark on me i'll make sure father knows about it," nayu smirked as her hands closed around yumi's neck, trying to choke the girl into oblivion.

yumi's face was red and she would have made a smart comeback if it weren't for the lack of air that she was receiving at that moment. when nayu finally let go, yumi dropped to the floor, gasping for air as nayu walked away, swishing her hair back and forth. 

~

"why are you crying?" a familiar voice asked and yumi quickly turned away, trying to wipe her tears.

"n-no i'm not," yumi gulped.

jeno sighed, and moved the hood off of her head to see her puffy eyes and trembling lips. it was 3 am and he just wanted some milk from the convenience store when he saw yumi on the sidewalk, crouched in a feeble position and crying her heart out. 

"come on," he said and grabbed her hand walking her back to the nct dream base. 

the entire walk was silent, jeno only comforted her with actions instead of talking, knowing that she was the type of person to like the quiet. by the time they had stepped through the door, his jacket was around her shoulders and his arm was around her shoulders in a protective stance. 

when yumi spoke however, it was only to ask about haechan, "where is-"

jeno sighed, "haechan? i don't know, he's probably in his room."

before he finished his sentence, yumi had headed up the stairs to haechan's room and jeno sighed again, a frown decorating his face as he watched the girl go to someone else.

yumi opened the door slowly, forgetting to knock, "haechan i'm sad-"

yumi stopped mid sentence and the tears instantly returned to her eyes when she saw who was on haechan's lap, her lips moving in sync on his. 

haechan opened his eyes at the sound of yumi's voice and it took him a few seconds to finally push nayu away, "yumi! it's not what it looks like- wait are you crying? YUMI!" he yelled after her as she backed away from his door, shaking her head in disbelief.

she backed into jeno, who calming grabbed her shoulders and rubbed them soothingly. haechan watched as jeno whispered to yumi, "let's go to the balcony."

haechan wanted to stop them, but he didn't think that he had the right at the moment so he only watched as yumi sniffed and walked away with jeno, her hand clasped in his.

nayu 🤬