22

the ship rocked back and forth at the dock, making her feel queasy even through the unconsciousness. eventually, she became so uncomfortable, that she woke up and was instantly shocked at where she was.

yumi looked around at the crates and boxes around her. her hands and feet were tied together and her clothes clung to her body with sweat and dirt. 

she glared out of the small window and saw nothing but a see of sailboats and other ships that were also anchored at a small dock. 

she had never seen a place like this before in seoul and she grew anxious when she heard footsteps descending into the very last compartment that she was in. 

a man leered at her as two others dragged her to her feet and took a hold of her arms. together, the men dragged her up to the deck of the boat, where her eyes readjusted to the sun and to her surroundings.

this was definitely not seoul. 

the area was quaint around the dock, and it was definitely a rural city. the people that lived here walked around at a lazy pace, not in any rush to start the day with speed. 

"is this the shipment?" yumi hadn't even noticed that they had gotten off the boat and were on solid land. 

she stared at the man in front of her, with his long hair and distinct facial structure. he was the one that had spoken. she felt like she had some familiarity with the man, but couldn't place a finger on why she felt like she knew him.

the men who dragged her off the ship shoved her into the newcomer, "fresh off the boat from korea."

yumi blinked, "w-where am i?" she vocalized and everyone around her chuckled.

"this is japan and my name is yuta," the man with long hair said with a wink, "you'll be working for me now."

yumi's eyes widened and she began panicking, was this a joke? 

yuta sighed and bid adieu to the men from the boat before dragging yumi by the arm into a quiet restaurant that served fresh seafood. he waved at the lady in the kitchen and she scurried back, seemingly scared of yuta. 

yuta glared at yumi to sit down and she did, fidgeting with the ropes that yuta had just untied for her, "who are you?"

"i told you, i'm yuta. does the name not ring a bell? not even when you were acquainted with nct?" yuta smirked and placed a piece of raw sashimi on yumi's plate. she didn't eat it. 

yumi crossed her arms, wary, "if you are with nct, why are you in japan?"

yuta shrugged, "taeyong sent me here. you can't return to korea until your father thinks that you're either dead or you've settled down here. he sent me to ensure that you live life comfortably here while under my protection."

"and so you just magically knew i was in that boat and came for me?" she questioned. yuta was fishy. 

yuta smiled mysteriously, "don't question the ways of the mafia, sweetheart. now eat up. i'm going to turn you into the finest weapon. no one will be able to stop me after that."

yumi wasn't buying it. taeyong didn't seem like he would do something so poorly planned like this. she pushed her seat out and made a run for it, making everyone on the streets turn in her directly. 

she arrived in front of the boat that she was just on, wondering if she snuck back on it, she would arrive at korea again. the countries weren't too far away from each other after all.

her hopes were dashed however, when smoke started coming up from the back of the old ship and it visibly began to sink slowly. 

yumi's eyes widened and she grabbed the collar of the person nearest her, "why is it sinking?" she exclaimed and the person yanked himself out of her grip, thinking she was crazy.

by now, yuta had arrived at the scene and chuckled, "that's the story we're going to tell your father. you died on the sinking ship before we could get you off. you'll live in japan for a year or two until everything settles down back there. i'll bring you back to lee haechan when the time is right."

yumi hated it. she also saw the look of victory on yuta's face and her distrust for him grew. she made a run for it again, blindly into the street. 

before yuta could bring a hand out to stop her, a truck came plowing down the street in her direction. 

yumi saw it coming long before it actually crashed into her body, but she didn't move. it wasn't because of shock, but because she truly did not want to live like a dead person in the middle of a country she knew nothing about. 

she didn't want to do whatever yuta wanted her to do. 

mostly, she didn't want to live without haechan.

so yumi closed her eyes and braced herself for the impact and when it came, she went flying into the ground behind her with a sickly crunch. the onlookers watched in horror as the dirty girl laid in the middle of the street in a pool of her blood. 

yuta ran up to her and kicked her body with his boot, "come on, wake up! fuck!" he screamed as he heard the wails of the ambulance in the distance. someone in the crowd must have called.

hi :)