32

she felt suffocated.

she was in the exact place she thought she would never see again and at this moment, she almost wished she hadn't regained her memories back so quickly. then she wouldn't feel this type of pain.

yumi was back in her old childhood bedroom, the light blue walls now stained a greyish tone and layers of dust covered the decorative furniture. even the golden hues of the carved railings were no longer shining. 

her father was standing right in front of her and the door was locked. she was on the carpet with her hands bound together, glaring at him with resentment as he started the fireplace in the center of the room. 

"why am i here?" she asked bravely.

he turned around, "why are you here? i remember sending you to an entirely different country but yet here you are, living in korea with those gang members. why couldn't you just disappear quietly? then i wouldn't have to resort to this."

yumi gulped, "what do you want with me? i've never asked you for money or even once appeared at your doorstep. so why?"

"you are a reminder of her. while she haunts my nightmares, your face haunts my waking moments. perhaps if you didn't look so much like your mother, everything would be fine," he seethed.

"why would mother haunt you... unless you did something bad to her?" yumi was slapped across the face as soon as the sentence left her mouth. 

"you're mother died of sickness," he whispered, almost trying to convince himself.

yumi backed away, shocked at the confused look on her father's face, "what did you do to her!" she yelled.

her father shook his head, "nothing. nothing at all. when i'm done with you here, there won't be a single trace of you or that woman left. i can live in peace with my wife and my precious little daughter."

yumi paused, "have you... ever thought of me as your family?"

her father glared at her, "how can i? when you might not even be my real daughter?"

yumi froze, what was he talking about? if he wasn't her father, then who was? who was her mother with before getting pregnant with her, and was this the reason that her father was so scared about talking about her death? did he get angry and do something? there wasn't enough time to think about it all. 

yumi's father held a photo book in his hands and dropped it into the flames, making the fire grow bigger and crackle threateningly. as it burned, she recognized it as the album of pictures her mother and her had taken together on a trip to jeju island before her mother had fallen ill.

yumi cried out in emotional pain, trying to reach into the fire to save the already burning pictures. her hands were tied together but she still reached into the flames, burning her hands. she didn't even notice the pain until her father pushed her back roughly, "you'll stay in this room until you die. you won't ever see the sun or anyone else ever again. you should be grateful i'm letting you live."

he left without another word, the door locking with a click as yumi stared into the fire, her heart breaking as she watched her mother's smiling face disintegrate. 

~

nayu opened the window to her bedroom, allowing haechan to climb right in. the first thing he did was yell at her "i came alone like you asked, now where is she?" he glared at her, as if daring her to pull some kind of stunt.

nayu pulled her hand out from behind her back and pointed it at haechan's head, crying, "it's always her isn't it? that's the only way you'll ever come to me, is when she's in danger. why? why haechan? i loved you so fucking much but you picked a castaway orphan over me. my own step sister."

haechan blinked, he was sure that if she tried to reach into his pocket and grab his gun, she would shoot. he twitched his eye muscle, "you're delusional, put the gun down."

"no, you won't save her. i'll kill you if i can't have you," she cried. 

three bullets whizzed past haechan's head as his eyes widened. 

the first missed.

the second lodged itself into the arm that nayu was holding the gun with.

the third impaled her right where the heart was.

haechan let out a sigh of relief and turned around to see jisung climbing into the window frame, "i followed you here."

"did you have to kill her? i know you don't like blood on your hands," haechan asked.

jisung shrugged, "it's what she deserves after all she put yumi through. yumi's like my sister, i'll do anything for her."

the boys nodded at each other and made their way out of nayu's room and down the hallway, checking the entire second floor. haechan reached a room with a blue painted door and tried to open it. it was locked.

jisung felt the door, "haechan, the door feels like its melting."

"fuck," haechan muttered under his breath and started kicking down the door. it didn't take very long until the door shattered open and he ran inside with jisung.

the fire in yumi's old room had grown. after her father had left, she had yanked the rope around her hands off and had opened the gate on the fireplace. in her grief, she didn't notice the fire spreading on the carpet. with her burnt hands and fingers, she pulled out the photo book that had been burnt to a crisp and cried over it.

eventually, the smoke had infiltrated her lungs and she had passed out on the floor, the fire slowly engulfing the entire room as she laid. 

haechan shook the girl, "yumi! wake up please!" 

when she didn't answer, haechan grabbed her and carried her in his arms, "let's go!" he shouted at jisung frantically.

"not so fast."